Front upper and lower control arms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update time...

Spent the weekend finishing up "prepping" the rear. Have all new hardware so I should be able to reassemble now.

Decided to cleanup and prime/paint the front, lower control arm. Looks almost like it was powdercoated now

The spindles have been treated to the same TLC, but in matte silver. The tie rods are on, waitin' to be lubed.

Until next time...
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Update time (I promise...almost finished and I'll stop posting )

Lesson learned - don't disconnect both trailing arms (control arms) at the same time. While reassembling the rear suspension, I was having a bear of a time trying to install the trailing arms. The panhard bar, shocks, and springs went back with little fuss. But, the trailing arm bolt holes would not line up. After several hours of struggling, I realized the axle rotated forward, moving the trailing arm holes forward and up. Long story short, it took alot of muscle to get the axle to rotate back to line up the holes again. In the future, I'll remember to only remove one at a time.

So, the rear is finished. I decided to buy the Green Grease and use it to lube up all of the poly bushings. I even used it on the Strano sway bar bushings. It's nice and sticky so it should last a long time.

Next up...reassembling the front. I've got to prime and paint the underside of the lower control arms, so maybe I'll get to that tonight.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Hey Al,

I just ordered the SA Konis - might get them in this year yet. I already have all the other suspendion upgrades, but stock front end parts except for swaybar - don't intend to change them. I'll see about the front springs. I did order some Madman brackets for the rear shocks that turn the lower mount 90 degrees to keep the shocks from binding when you adjust the rear end.

How are yours working out?

Comment

No problems on the rear. I used the spring ilsolator delete trick. Still has full travel, but since the spring mount was about a half inch think piece of rubber, it lowers the rear. I did use thin rubber sheets cut into a donut on the top just to provide a bit more insulation. Also, the top coil of the spring is wrapped in a heater hose. All in all, feels solid with no added noise.

BTW - Front is nearly complete. Just need to tighten up the shock mounts in the engine bay. Hope to road test tomorrow with full report.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Working...
          X