My Labor Day Weekend Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Labor Day Weekend Project

Ok, so I got the itch. Time for headers!!!!

Started on Friday. Started with the alternator...piece of cake. Disconnected the O-2 sensors...no prob. Soaked the Y-pipe nuts with PB Blaster...messy but good. Went to drop the Y-pipe...crap!!! The cat disconnected without a hitch, but the primaries for the Y were a different story. The nuts came off without a problem, except one of the nuts on the driver's side brought the stud out with it (and didn't break). However, some schmuck over-torqued the nuts (and even lost one, as one of them was a 17mm, not a 15mm like the rest) when they reinstalled the Y-pipe before I got it. So, the flanges on the Y-pipe cupped upwards...and the studs curved out. AAAAAGH!! After pacing back and forth for a little bit, I took one more look at the stud that came out...and discovered that it has a 7mm head on it! So, with a 7mm socket and a long extension, the studs were turned and the flanges dropped. Out comes the Y-pipe!! Now for the manifolds. After some soaking of bolts/stud for the driver's side, I removed all 8 plugs and went to town on the driver's side manifold (and didn't have a single bolt snap). Came out like butta . Sounds like a good place to call it a day .

On to Saturday. This was a bittersweet day. All the bolts/studs on the passenger side came out without and problems. Dropped the starter. Managed to finagle the passenger side manifold out. So far, so good. Just to top it off before lunch, I slipped the driver's side header in...just for a . Came back a little later to start the install. Notched the Percy's (thanks for the trick Joe), got the header started, slipped the gaskets in and started putting bolts in. Now the bitter part...I forgot to order new motor mounts, and I need them. As it sits now, the steering shaft rubs against the header. AAAAAAGH!!!! Time to call it a day.

Now for today...Sunday. Called up Vic Hubbard, a local speed shop. They have a set of ES mounts in stock!! YES!! Gonna pick those up...and kick back today.

Hopefully, I can get the mounts in tomorrow and, with a little help from the Big Man, finish the header install.

I'll get/post some pics of the install when I get a chance. Big thanks to Craig for the help (and the headers ) and to this board for the vast information that has come in handy over the past couple days.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Originally posted by Steve93Z
    didn't have a single bolt snap.
    That's when things are going good.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      That's when things are going good.
      Aaaa-men brotha
      Steve

Comment

It's taking you all weekend because you are stopping every 15 minutes to go eat BAR-B-Q! I know you. Then you gotta take the browns to the super bowl!!

I hope those Percy's work out for you. Those are well known to be hit or miss. Did you get the carbon's or Seal-4-Goods? Good 'ole GM metal gaskets and a little Permatex Copper around the port openings cannot be beat.

What did you decide to do on the header bolts/studs?

This thread is worthless without pics!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          It's taking you all weekend because you are stopping every 15 minutes to go eat BAR-B-Q! I know you. Then you gotta take the browns to the super bowl!!
          ...So? lol

I hope those Percy's work out for you. Those are well known to be hit or miss. Did you get the carbon's or Seal-4-Goods? Good 'ole GM metal gaskets and a little Permatex Copper around the port openings cannot be beat.
          I went with the Seal-4-Goods (a.k.a. the dead-softs). Yes yes yes, I know where you stand on gaskets...copper whore lol j/k

What did you decide to do on the header bolts/studs?
          Went with the ARP 1", 12-point bolts.

This thread is worthless without pics!
          I know, I know, I'm working on it . I'll get and post pics tomorrow.
          Steve

Comment

Good 'ole GM metal gaskets and a little Permatex Copper around the port openings cannot be beat.

!
            GM stacked steel gaskets won't work with SLP headers without modification.

Comment

GM stacked steel gaskets won't work with SLP headers without modification.
              You mean you can actually install something on a car nowadays without modifying it?

Comment

You mean you can actually install something on a car nowadays without modifying it?
                In theory, yes. The big problem with the SLP headers is that they use a different set of bolt holes at each end. The stamped steel shim gaskets don't have provisions for these holes. Not to mention that for some reason, many f-bodies seem to develop an exhaust leak on the passenger side. I guess I'm not a big fan of the stock LT-1 exhaust gaskets.

Comment

In theory, yes. The big problem with the SLP headers is that they use a different set of bolt holes at each end. The stamped steel shim gaskets don't have provisions for these holes. Not to mention that for some reason, many f-bodies seem to develop an exhaust leak on the passenger side. I guess I'm not a big fan of the stock LT-1 exhaust gaskets.
                  That was actually a rhetorical question......but, I will let you slide this time!

You need to send me a PM letting me know where all the hot spots are here in this area.

Comment

That was actually a rhetorical question......but, I will let you slide this time!

You need to send me a PM letting me know where all the hot spots are here in this area.
                    gotcha. Problem is, it's all to true.

Comment

It sounds like you are having fun! My install took me all of last week. I'd work for a few hours before bedtime every night. TTIWWOP!
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:
                      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Ugh. So, the mounts are taking longer than expected. I'm gonna have to take more time to get this done. Oh well, so it goes
                        Steve

Comment

Well, with the weekend fast approaching, its time to get this project finished. Gonna snap some pics on Sat. as everything is getting put on.

And I'm still happy of the manifold bolts broke
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                            Well, with the weekend fast approaching, its time to get this project finished. Gonna snap some pics on Sat. as everything is getting put on.

And I'm still happy of the manifold bolts broke
                            Dont forget to apply anti-sieze to anything that threads into aluminum.
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:
                            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                              Dont forget to apply anti-sieze to anything that threads into aluminum.
                              Oh I'm all over that like a cheap suit from Sears on a fat guy . Bought 2 packages of the stuff when I picked up my PB Blaster (which also works great BTW). You can rest assured there will be anti-seize in the picture lol
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X