Upgrade package?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade package?

I'm looking into doing some mods on my 2k M6 Firehawk ... apart from fixing some minor technical problems (slight coolant leak somewhere around the water pump, grinding noise from the rear end, and it's NOT the wheel bearings, already replaced them) I'm looking at something like 400+ hp ...

As I will need to still be able to pass german inspection and emission testing, I can't go all out on this, nor do I want to sacrifice driveability and economy. Also, I do not plan on replacing the rear end with a 12 bolt or 9", so anything to extreme in the HP/torque area is also out of the question ...

I've had some advice and ideas from local F-Body folks, looking for some more detailed info on what to actually get ...

- Cam: One guy suggested the Z06 cam, as it's good HP for rather cheap $, and will keep the engine pretty much stock as far as noise and emissions go. Another suggested a mild, Thunder Racing cam, would need to look up the numbers he gave me.

- Headers: some long tubes, but with mostly stock clearing underneath - I have a PITA driveway, which I scrape the Camaro SFCs on if I don't watch out, so ground clearance is an issue. I know some el cheapo headers will go way down, while others will be just about the same depth as stock headers - any suggestions? Plus, what other parts will I need to hook them up to the stock Firehawk exhaust?

- Intake Manifold: Heard bad things about Fast, what about getting the Z06 manifold?

- MAF/Lid/etc.: I'm currently running w/o MAF being used (CLSD), with stock lid. Thinking about getting one of those dual cone air filters/intakes, and probably some bellow to replace the stock air intake tubing and MAF - any suggestions as to what make/parts to get?

Anything else I should upgrade with the motor while I'm at it?

As for the clutch, I figure it's starting to head south, with slight slippage at the track (I think), though street driving is still fine. What's a good aftermarket replacement? Got some cons on the Spec1, with recommendations again pointing towards a Z06 clutch assembly ...

Tnx!
    Garry Glendown * '00 Firehawk M6 #92 * '98 Camaro V6 Convertible

On thi intake side...

I looked into the bellows to replace the ribbed intake tubing. The general consensus is that it doesn't contribute to performance. The stock tubing is adequate. If you're into cleaning up your engine bay, you could look into it, but it's really a looks only device...and a pain to put on from what I hear.

I'm not too familiar with the Firehawk intake, but it's already a "ram air" system right? That may be sufficient. On a car that doesn't have ram air, like a Z28, I'd definitley suggest a lid and maybe Fast Toys Ram Air (FTRA) system.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Yes, it is Ram-Air, but could probably use some enhancements, the rear of the hood only has a couple rather small holes the air passes in through, and only the small slit at the bottom of the air filter lid where the air passes in ... additionally, the air comes from the bottom as usual, dunno if there's any point eliminating that and just going from the front ... I read somewhere though that the ram air intake only starts to actually help the motor around 100mph or higher?

Comment

As far as the headers, those usually aren't the problem. The collectors tuck under the car nicely, it's the Y pipes that cause grief. A custom fabbed Y pipe is usually the ticket.

Comment

The only bad thing I've heard about the FAST intake are thier TB's and the cost of the intake, otherwise everyone with mods will see nice gains throughout the powerband, some more than others of course. There are several companies that do stealth cams which are made to work with stock manifolds/shorty headers and still give you close to the power you want. Keeping cat for emmision is what will make it a little tough to meet your goals but you can get close I'm sure.... or just toss a turbo/supercharger on there and you'd be good as gold.

JasonG

Comment

Checkout www.installuniversity.com. They seem to have some good articles in thier library, along with diy install instructions.

Here's their writeup on the FTRA: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._12.262000.htm

It's just another option to consider.

A competing device is the Super Sucker Ram Air. My FTRA has been pretty much foolproof against water ingestion. If it was going to happen, it would have already. It seems to be an efficient system that does detract minimally from cooling. This would work with an aftermarket lid or maybe your stock lid if it's sealed well enough.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

A slight grinding noise in the rear can be somewhat "normal" for a torsen. Using the LS additive can help. I know it doesn't make any sense because there are no clutches, but give it a shot if you haven't.

Comment

Guess I'm going with a Thunder Racing 224/224 114 Cam, matching springs an retainers, LS6 intake manifold and Pacesetter Long Tubes and catted Y-pipe ... any comments on this combo?

Comment

Will make you some solid power gains throughout. As I said the FAST intake and comparable 90 TB will gain you more throughout the band also. My favorite place to read about what does and doesn't work for people is ls1tech forums. Only reason I didn't go with a FAST is because my 02 allready had a LS6 intake on it otherwise I'd gotten a FAST for the overall gains as compared to the LS1 you are upgrading from.

JasonG

Comment

Working...
                  X