VATS problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VATS problem

here is my problem, i have a 91 firebird that had gotten stolen. i got it back within the first day but the main problem is that they broke the steering column in the car and tried to hot wire it. being it was a vats car they didn't get it running. the just drug it several block with a chain. i have replace the steering column and vats box. i figured that would fix the car but it didn't the car flashes the security light when you try to start it. if you check the codes it shows a nuber 46 which the book says is a vats failure. before i change the vats box i had a new key made to match the new steering column with the same key that the car used. the vats failure light flashed with the origanal box so i put in the box that came with the new column. same problem.

my question is does anybody have an idea of what to do to get the car back running? any help would be great. thanks Marty

The quickest way is to have the VATS disabled in the computer and bypass the starter enable relay. You won't have any VATS if you do that. After I spent close to $1000 trying to get VATS to work that's what I did.
    Try the electronics section of the forums over at www.thirdgen.org. One of the moderators is Trickster and he knows a lot about the wiring and electronics. He might be able to help you get it working.
    1989 TA
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
    K&N CAI
    Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

What you'll have to do is to measure the resistance of the pellet in the ignition key. Once you obtain that reading, an appropriate resistor or two car spliced in place of the harness connection goin gto the lock cylinder. That should get you started, you just won't have the protection that the VATS is designed to do. My 93 just started acting up and .20 cents later, she's back on the road with this trick.

Comment

Working...
      X