starting problem on modded LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problem on modded LT1

Well the motor is in the car and running.... sort of. The car is hard to start and won't start unless I play with the gas a little. It doesn't even pop really. Once it is started it runs fine. It idles low for a couple of seconds then it levels out just fine. The only codes in the computer are low coolant temperature. I think that is tripped because of the 160 degree stat. Do you have any ideas?

Mods include:
    Pacesetter LT
    3" exhaust
    Moroso CAI
    descreened maf
    52mm ebay throttle body
    LE stage 1 heads, cam, and intake
    Ford 30# injectors
    PCM for less tune
    Rebuilt motor with about 11:1 compression

HELP!

What are your IAC counts registering?

I assume you are not running the stock tune.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Low coolant temp can cause the engine to run really rich if out of range like
      -195 F and playing with the gas can cause it to start.
      I LOVE COBRA'S -
      THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Fix that temp sensor code. It's not because of the thermostat. Maybe you did not plug in the sensor in the water pump or it or the wiring is bad.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

An out of range or improperly functioning coolant temp sensor can wreak havoc on the pulsewidths (fuel delivery).

What is the exact code that you are getting? There are two coolant temp sensors on the LT1. One in the side of the driver's side (bank 1) cylinder head that supplies the signal for the gauge cluster, and then the one in the water pump housing which supplies the signal for the PCM to make necessary adjustments.

Comment

I haven't been able to get a good scan of it yet. I am trying to use the scanner for my GTP and it does not play well with the TA. I also pushed on the schrader valve on the fuel rail after it had been sitting for about 24 hours and nothing came out which tells me that I am losing pressure somewhere.... I think it is an injector but I am not sure and I don't have time to work on it till the weekend.

Comment

It was the ECT. one of the wires was cut.

Comment

Working...
              X