Borla vs. LM Lt1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borla vs. LM Lt1

This question is for a friend, He wants to get the loudest possible exhaust for his lt1, without getting headers. I told himto go with ethier Slp LM or Borla. Would anyone recomend anything else? Thanks!
    1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

Ive got a flowmaster system on mine,sounds grrreeeaaatttt!!

Comment

Loudmouth, plain and simple
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by TransAm95
        This question is for a friend, He wants to get the loudest possible exhaust for his lt1, without getting headers.
        Then go with a stainless works Y pipe without cats, get a 3" intemediate and rear pipe made at an exhaust shop and you're done. That will be plenty loud. you won't be smog legal and if it's a 96 or later, will need rear 02 simulators. Or......

Get a cutout installed, pick up an electronic actuator and have the ability to be quiet or loud at the touch of the controls.

I do have to say my 4" mufflex belts out a wicked tune.

Comment

Having the Borla makes me a bit biased...but I'd have to say the Borla hands down. Running no plate, the car screams, because it is straight through...no muffler at all. I've heard the loudmouth...it is loud, but cannot be adjusted to be louder or softer like the Borla can (and with a QTP electric valve...you have instant gratification).
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Trans am Man
            Ive got a flowmaster system on mine,sounds grrreeeaaatttt!!
            Ohhhh yeah! Doesn't flow too well, but it sounds incredible. I always get people asking me how much work I've done to my car. They're eyes go wide when I tell them it's bone stock aside from the exhaust. My favorite response was from the guy at the window at the Dunkin' Donuts drivethrough- "Daaaaammmmmmmnnn!". Maybe someday I'll put some longtubes on my car. can't wait to hear it then!
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
              Ohhhh yeah! Doesn't flow too well, but it sounds incredible. I always get people asking me how much work I've done to my car. They're eyes go wide when I tell them it's bone stock aside from the exhaust. My favorite response was from the guy at the window at the Dunkin' Donuts drivethrough- "Daaaaammmmmmmnnn!". Maybe someday I'll put some longtubes on my car. can't wait to hear it then!
              Yeah I have a freind with a 96Z and when he first bought the car it was bone stock except a flowmaster exhaust and he put some long tubes on it and really the sound changed, it wasn't as deep of rumble, but noticeably louder at idle and at WOT it sounds like a damn race car.!!!!!!!!
              1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

Comment

Ohhhh yeah! Doesn't flow too well, but it sounds incredible. !
                Hold on there, that depends on which design you use. I guarantee my 4" flowmaster is a free breather. Then again, the 4" does wonders.

Comment

is it the 80 series that doesn't flow or just flowmasters in general?

Edit: 1,000th post baby!!!!!
                  2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                  2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    Hold on there, that depends on which design you use. I guarantee my 4" flowmaster is a free breather. Then again, the 4" does wonders.
                    I got the 3" (I think). Not sure what series though. All I've been told is that Flowmaster doesn't flow well at all on our cars.
                    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                    SOLD- Good riddance!
                    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I got the 3" (I think). Not sure what series though. All I've been told is that Flowmaster doesn't flow well at all on our cars.
                      Flowmaster is a great muffler and it flows up there with the best of them amd sounds great doing it. Don't believe the hype.

The Loudmouth is indeed loud but the exhaust tone and rasp absolutely ruin the effect of the exhaust. If your friend wants a good combination of adjustability and tone and loudness, the adjustable Borla is probably one of the best. If he wants to make more HP, the single in/single out systems are the ticket.

Comment

what about a combo..set up...
                        borla y-pipe and slp loudmouth cat back...
                        i like mine...
                        damn cant wait to get my headers in...
                        1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

I have the Borla on my Z with the QTP valve with an SLP Y-pipe up front and I love it, the adjustability with the valve is great when your on a long trip.
                          95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Ok just to put in my two cense.. I have both I have a 1995 trans am that had lm and I have a 1999ws6 with borla now the LM was MUCH louder than the borla with no plate however, I took off the LM on my 95 and replaced it with a custom magna flow system from a local shop and it is WAY louder than both of them combined not to mention the performance was much better than both. So if I had to do it again on ether of my cars I would skip the kits and head down to a custom shop. Not to mention I paid less for the custom magna flow system than I did for the borla kit. The LM kit I got off of ebay for like $400 but I paid just over $500 for the magna flows installed.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishjason
                              Ok just to put in my two cense.. I have both I have a 1995 trans am that had lm and I have a 1999ws6 with borla now the LM was MUCH louder than the borla with no plate however, I took off the LM on my 95 and replaced it with a custom magna flow system from a local shop and it is WAY louder than both of them combined not to mention the performance was much better than both. So if I had to do it again on ether of my cars I would skip the kits and head down to a custom shop. Not to mention I paid less for the custom magna flow system than I did for the borla kit. The LM kit I got off of ebay for like $400 but I paid just over $500 for the magna flows installed.
                              That's all well and good, but an LT-1 and an LS1 are going to sound completely different, The same exhaust system on those two different engines will have a different tone and volume.

Comment

Working...
                              X