No announcement yet.

NFB What car for my 17 yr old?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the honda accord early ones to like 94 were great cars. Slow fuel savers and like honda's atvs they rarely break down.
    I sold a 91 with 203,000 miles and it still ran fine.

Comment

Saturn SC1, SL1, SW1, all are SOHC and slow as hell. Saturns do tend to burn oil though, also, make sure it's an auto, if she spins the tires excessively the differential pin will launch through the transaxle, same with any neon.

Pontiac Fiero, just have it checked, those things tend to catch fire because of some problem with the plugs.

Dodge Aries ! hahahahahaha.....

The Ford Probe isn't too bad, they just need to maintained.

Personally I don't find american cars all that reliable, you may be better off with an import. Civic, Sentra, Tercel, Corolla.... all pretty reliable, good gas mileage, and slow.

Comment

This is just my $.02 but I am 17. I bought my first vechile by myself about 4 months before I got my liscense. In PA we have to have our permits for 6 months before getting our liscense and I wanted a wrangler and my dad allowed me to get it under the condition I drive it a few months with an adult in the vehicle. Even though many people say they are dangerous and flip easy I was never close to being in an accident with it for the time I had it. I now have a v8 firebird which is also considered unsafe for young drivers. I don't believe this at all, I paid for both my vechiles and pay for parts if something breaks. I take much better care of my car than any other kids I know that there parents have bought them and almost all of them have been in atleast a fender bender. When I bought my vehicles my dad said it would make me more responsible for paying for them and I totally disagreed with him at the time but now I realize he was right.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

all 3 of our kids got Chevy Luminas.....not flashy, but very reliable.....I really hated to see production on them stop.....
          DWS
          Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

Grand Am?

I looked in the the prices of used Honda Accords. Way up there, not worth the money. How about a used Grand Am 94-99. Anything to look out for on those?

Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

I used to have a 1992 Grand am. I think there may have been a head gasket problem but mine didn't die on me until 208K miles and that car had the crap beat out of it. In winter it was impossible to skid on ice with the ABS on it. That was a great car.

Comment

Another option...

Originally posted by RangerBob
                I looked in the the prices of used Honda Accords. Way up there, not worth the money.
                Bob
                Have you looked into a Subaru Legacy wagon? My father has driven them for nearly 20 years...the cars run forever. My bro-in-law picked up a very low mileage 95 with all the bells and whistles for less than $5K. He and my sister drive supercharged Mustangs and needed a daily driver. For some reason, the cars are not in demand and hence can be had for little money. Because they are a little wagon, they are extremely versatile carrying passengers and stuff. The AWD system is bullet-proof and will prove to be a god-send in the rain or snow. Other than having the timing belt changed every 75,000 miles, the cars run forever. They get good gas mileage, cruise well at highway speeds, but won't allow her to get into trouble off the line. Insurance premiums are very low for these cars as they are infrequently stolen and get into few accidents. Parts are failry inexpensive as well. While she may balk at the idea of driving a wagon, they are much cheaper than the sedans and much more usefull. My dad's current stall includes a 97 Legacy wagon and 2001 WRX. He is in the process of getting a turbo charged Forester in the next few months. Subaru builds great stuff but doesn't command the crazy used-car prices like Honda and Toyota. The are also relatively easy to work on because of the "boxer" engine layout. I would definitely check one out...
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I would go with a car that can take a good hit and not turn into an accordion. This past year, I kinda nudged my fiancee into getting rid of her Mitsubishi Mirage, something that could be dented with spitballs. She ended up buying a '98 Chrysler Concorde last February which was a good thing. In June, she was side swiped by a full size city bus. The collision actually lifted the right side of the car off of the ground. My three year old son was in the car, and neither of them were hurt. The car needed two new doors and a front fender, but it even survived the encounter. She just loves that car, it has all of the amenities inside, nice layout, and it is really responsive to drive, and the insurance company loved it too dropping the insurance about $25 a month since the MIts was considered a high risk(injury) car. The resale on them is awful so you can get them cheap. Anyhow, sometimes things just happen. My fiancee's mom called the Mits the silver bullet for good reason. That tin can would have been crushed. It is just isn't worth it. Get something heavy and big. I would stick with the big Chryslers or GMs. I would probably go with a Caddy. You will definitely get the most bang for your buck. Those things run forever, and they are quality automobiles. Something like this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6151

In a couple of years you will be able to get a really nice Seville Northstar STS for around $5,000. The used American luxury cars are the best quality cars for the best price...they are almost a steal. In my opinion, stay away from the Asian imports or the American compacts. They are just too risky. Just a couple of months ago, just outside my office, I witnessed a Neon t-boned in the rear by an old F.O.R.D. Torino. The car was lifted in the air, did a 180, and hit a tree. The driver was all jacked up. The Torino wasn't even scratched. It just isn't worth it, don't trust all of that air bag crumple zone junk, and get something that can take a good hit. I drive a '94 Roadmaster Estate Wagon as my daily driver, and before that a '77 K5 Blazer. Oh, my fiancee started out wanting a truck, but she just doesn't have the skills yet to drive one of those. I don't know if getting a truck or SUV for a tenage girl is the best thing unless she really nows how to drive one. It is just too easy to not allow enough stopping distance and smash into something or over-correct and tip them.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I am a teenager that has had 4 cars since I had got my driving license...

I think that the Dodge Neon you talked about will give you so many problems with head gasket seals and all that you would be better off buying a new car for her...

I also know from experience any car like the Acura Integra/RSX and Honda Accord/Civic/Prelude are more likely to be DOGGED (WORN OUT SEVERELY) cars because my friends had wanted to get some and couldn't find one in good condition and the ones that did find them in good condition didn't like them after about 6 months or so because they needed repairs and wanted to join their friends in customizing them for import show downs...

Mitsubishi Eclipse on the other hand are better cars but still you may have a few maintenance problems but overall their good cars... One of my High School friends, has a Talon and he drives like a Bat out of H***, and it still live even at graduation which was about 4 months later and probably still today...

Toyota Celica and Camry and Solara and Corolla are what I personally would suggest if you don't want her to have power, but want reliablity... I had a 94 Celica ST coupe white for about 10 months, I loved it at first, but all my friends had faster cars and my mom's 93 Celica ST coupe black started giving her more problems and since mine had been wrecked, we traded them both for my Camaro 2001 and her a VW...

Wolfman... You are right about the small american wanna-be ricers being less safe in a crash... But personally you be better off getting her a V6 Camaro that has 160 horses, just because she'll be able to hang with her friends and not be ridiculed and also give her some popularity... Like a friend of mine said in high school, "... I want a car that can go with me and that I want be tired of in a year's time... So this is the car I choice..." The car he got was a Mitsubishi 3000GT... He wanted the VR4 which is the twin turbo model, but his folks wouldn't allow that so he settled for the SL model which has everything but the turbos...

Another world of advice, if you don't want to get her the top of the line model, then get her a base model and she will be happy especially if it is the FIREBIRD... One of my friends in college said, "...she had her dad get her a red firebird, which she has right now, because it looks more girly, while at the same time making a statement about her and her family... A good statement..." Sorry to all yal with Firebirds but that is how she said it...

That's all... GOOD LUCK and insurance for girls is a little cheaper for the base model CAMARO or FIREBIRD...

Later
                    Mara...

EDIT: PS... don't get a Nissan that is from early 80s to 98 you may have problems with the electronics and also they may be DOGGED...
                    Thanks
                    MaraSport

Comment

he has a point, my 94 Nissan pickup went through like 4 alternators.

Comment

oh... yah...

Here are some websites to visit that will help you... They are about buying cars for teenagers...

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.s...buying;article

http://www.drivers.com/Top_New_Drivers.html

The KBB.com one was the one I used to convince my mom that buying the camaro or firebird would be safer than having me in a subcompact Celica because they are mid-size sport cars...

here's the proof on this website...

http://edmunds.com/used/type/2001/co...excontent..0.*

Later...
                        Mara...
                        Thanks
                        MaraSport

Comment

Working...
                        X