Headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers

I have the engine out of my 02 SS, and I am trying to decide which headers to go with. I want to install them now while motor is out. I also dont want to have to change them for a long time. I also was wondering if any tuning is needed after installation.

There are a lot of different headers to choose from. Do you need to pass smog tests? What are you doing from the headers back? Do you want shorties, mids or lts? Is your car lowered?
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

I was looking at Slp long tube headers and Borla from the cats back.

Comment

That is a great combo. I think most of the board would agree...
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

The SLP LT's really hang low... so low in fact sparks will been seen from your car. They have a great Idea behind them, just that in the end they are more of a headache to own than they a worth.

They header you get is really dependent upon how much $ you spend and what is more important in a header for you. Whether is be how well they fit or the price to keep the project cost low.

The kooks LT headers are the best fitting headers on the market for our cars. They are also stainless steel and quality built but pricy (I have these - just do a search under my name and for headers for pics) . The pacesetter headers are quite popular as well. Hookers are cheaper, but some have complained about them.

In the end before you decide, make sure you know what your getting, as you'll be living with them for a long time. Maybe some other header owners can chime in as well and tell you how their headers are working for them so far

edit: link to my header install (with pics) . I agree with Joe (post down below) I think Kooks has a great headers but it's their custom y-pipe that gives the proper fit that is most noticeable.
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

The main problem with long tubes is not the headers themselves, it's the Y pipes that usually scrape. A well made custom Y pipe should do better than most off the shelf items.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...ght=long+tubes

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I still got a lot of structural work and body work to do before I am ready to mess with the motor.

Comment

i have slp's and i love em. But my car is lowered, so the pasanger side hangs just low enough to catch speed bumps. If your planning on being low, id recommend something that tucks a little better. Like Joe said, usually is the y's, but on these headers that dang pass side just hangs a little low.

you can see here, that even with true duals, that one pass side spot hangs down just a enough to be a problem.
                99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

I dont plan on lowering yet. I am working to get it where i can drive and upgrade every now and then. But I think the headers are a must.

Comment

I have Kooks LT's and can attest to their fit and finish. I had mine ceramic coated (2000º+), my headers never get more than 145ºF.

2001 SOM Camaro SS. 1SD options, Neutral leather, ASR, 6spd. H/C, exhaust/intake/suspension. Full list of mods here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...atasheetSS.jpg

Comment

So, to sum up (?) the SLP Y-pipe hangs too low with both SLP's headers and the stock headers?? I will need to lower my LS1 BC4 for autocross.

Comment

Originally posted by xxRillixx
                        i have slp's and i love em. But my car is lowered, so the pasanger side hangs just low enough to catch speed bumps. If your planning on being low, id recommend something that tucks a little better. Like Joe said, usually is the y's, but on these headers that dang pass side just hangs a little low.

you can see here, that even with true duals, that one pass side spot hangs down just a enough to be a problem.
                        Just curious, what's the condition of the motor mounts? The only reason I ask that is that I see two owners that both say the headers scrape and it suprises me that SLP would have it engineered that way.

Comment

I just thought I would add a point to the fray. The possibility that shorties or mid lengths would be more beneficial. I've seen quite a few cases where cars with shorties dyno'ed within a few HP of long tubes provided the rest of the system it top notch. The purpose long tubes is boost low end torque, many even lengthen the collector to optimize torque below the peak. That's really helpful in automatic trans cars. In short, shorties rock at high rpm with a good Y pipe and cat back. There are also no worries about scrapes even on lowered cars, that's probably the best benefit right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            Just curious, what's the condition of the motor mounts? The only reason I ask that is that I see two owners that both say the headers scrape and it suprises me that SLP would have it engineered that way.
                            The motor mounts are fine, the car has like 60k miles on it.... Im pretty sure if it was stock height, it would be ok. But with those and lowering its just enough to catch speed bumps. I havent had problems like the person above saying they have seen sparks... i think ive only had it scrape once on the road (not speed bumps).
                            99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Working...
                            X