Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the widest tires you can tuck in a wheel well?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the widest tires you can tuck in a wheel well?

I want to lower my 1980 Trans Am, and want to know what is the widest tire I can fit in the rear wheel well without having to mini tub it?

Thanks

The largest I was able to fit without cutting was a 275. Actually, I should say that. You can go larger but expect it to stick out past the fender lip. If you lower it, any wider than a 275 and you run into interferance with either the inner fender well or the outer fender lip. Depending on the wheel offset, you may end up having roll the fender lip.

Comment

I've read that term "rolling the fender lip" in magazines, what does that exactly mean?

Comment

what offset did you use on your 275's? My intention is to go with an AirRide suspension with 20x10 rims in the rear and 18x8 in the front giving it a much meaner stance. But I want the rear to have a deeper dish look than the front.

Comment

I used the 15x8 turbo wheel. A 10 inch wheel is going to stick out past the lip of the outer fender. There is no way a 10" wheel is going to fit within the stock fenderwells. I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by 80transamguy
            I've read that term "rolling the fender lip" in magazines, what does that exactly mean?
            Just what it sounds like. You Roll the Inner lip of the fender. This allows the tire to be a bit wider without rubbing the inside of the Fender, And allows the tire to go up into the well a little more.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Would a different offset of the rim and a mini tub make it possible to stick a bigger tire inside the wheel well?

Comment

Originally posted by 80transamguy
                Would a different offset of the rim and a mini tub make it possible to stick a bigger tire inside the wheel well?
                Yes. You'll need to relocate the leaf springs and rear shocks inboard slightly, remove the inner fender liners and install the mini tubs. By doing so you can run a 12" wide wheel with 325/50/15 tucked inside the fenders.

Comment

that would look sweet! Do you know who sells the mini tubs for the f-body?

Comment

Working...
                  X