What a great day... Z06 AND 911 Turbo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a great day... Z06 AND 911 Turbo

I was privileged enough to ride in both of these amazing machines today. It was my first ride in both, however I drove neither. I wouldn't drive the Z06 because it is kinda like the championship trophy that you don't want to touch until you actually win it. I'll drive a Z06 once it really is MINE. Even though the salesman handed me the keys to the 911 Turbo, I balked and handed them to my friend. The salesman said, "no, no it's okay as long as you be responsible." To which I replied, "the power doesn't scare me... the pricetag does." I can't think of anything a college kid needs more than to crack up a $128,000 automobile.

It's all over the magazines - illustrated in numbers and words - the cars' performance abilities are remarkably competitive. What astonished me was how differently these cars accomplished the same goals.

The Z06 was raw power, and it wasn't shy in its presentation of it. There was no question that power was the main event. The exhaust note was beautiful and LOUD when the throttle was opened. The torque snapped you to attention, and speeds violently roared past you by factors of ten. It was almost like the engine was built to laugh at you when you removed your foot from the throttle to catch your breath. It taunted the driver to "bring it." The ride was a little bumpy though over the cracked Minneapolis freeways, it made me wish we were in Florida. When it came to the turns, we aggressively (to my friend anyways) took a cloverleaf at 55 MPH. He backed off, but I told him the car didn't even seem like it was CLOSE to losing its grip. That car would have stuck up to 75, I am convinced. It was throwing us, and we could feel the suspension, but I know it had more.

The 911 Turbo could be summed up in one word... refinement. It achieved mind blowing speeds without making you wet yourself. While it still felt fast, it didn't FEEL as fast as the Vette even though it was. The speedometer was a surprise - every time you looked at it, you wondered how you got going that fast. Then there was the cornering. The 911 Turbo felt like it was pushed much closer to its full potential by my friend - we actually did hit 70 around a cloverleaf. My friend said he felt more in control of the car at 70 than he did in the Vette at 50... Pish posh, he wussed out with the Vette, and had me reaching for the "oh $#!& bar" in the Porsche.

Bottom line was FEEL. You felt everything more in the Z06. For someone like me, that's good, that's fantastic! I want my neck to be sore from acceleration, I want white knuckle action around turns, and I want grandma to be scared to death to ride with me. The Porsche was beautiful, but it just didn't feel MEAN the way the Z06 did. The Z06 was angry and ferocious, and it let you know it! The Porsche was a thoroughbred, confidently and smoothly delivering amazing performance. Words really do fail me when trying to articulate the exceptional amount of refinement in that package.

My take... the Z06. One day it will be the crown jewel of my garage. That is until I have a Murcielago in there to keep it company.

I hope you liked the report, hopefully it wasn't too long, and enjoy the day!
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Thanks for sharing your experience. I loved the writeup.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I don't think I would want to drive or ride in anything I wasn't going to be buying. I guess it's like a big tease or something.
      69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
      70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
      2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

zo6

what does the zo6 run stock in the 1/4?

Comment

I can only tell you what they are advertised to run. I have never driven mine at the track.

12.4 @ 116/117 MPH

Comment

AT LEAST 12.4

I've seen Car and Driver or Road and Track get a 12.8 -- that is just pathetic... there is no way they puched it to its full potential, unless perhaps they did the test at the peak of Mount Everest. 12.4 (I think that was Motor Trend) is a little better, but I ran a 13.3 in my TA stock. I've done a few mods, and I'd like to think I am capable of a 13.0 or 13.1 now. Plain and simple, the Z06 made my WS6 feel like a toy. I'd have a hard time believing it isn't at least a full second faster, I have to believe the Z06 is capable of hitting high 11's when driven properly.
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

One more thing...

I am debating whether or not the Z06 is the fastest car I have ever ridden in. I think it's a toss-up... and I have ridden in a 1994 Lamborghini Diablo. That should tell you something.

Comment

me and my z06

ok im goin buy one! right after I rob the bank!

Comment

79 trans am

Im looking at some late 70s trans am's w/the 400
                  what did they run in the 1/4 please help Im shoping around

Comment

check out what I found

http://www.cobranet.com/roadtest.htm

Comment

Re: 79 trans am

Originally posted by mesa
                      Im looking at some late 70s trans am's w/the 400
                      what did they run in the 1/4 please help Im shoping around
                      I have a '79 400 4sp that is stock with 39,000 miles. It runs 15s stock. The 400 had 220hp with 320lbs torque. The 403 olds only had about 185hp. The compression on the motor is like 8:1. Now there is a lot that you can do to them which I would be happy to share with you.
                      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

shoping

Im not sure if I want a 79 or a around a 95 z28. Im shoping on
                        ebay. every camaro around here is a v6. I never got to drive a 5.7

Comment

I have never gone to the track but I have raced two of my friends who have.

Nita: 12.25 @ 113 mph Ram Air Formula 370RWHP
                          Raced her from a roll on the highway and took her by 10+ cars.

Steve: 12.40 @ Don't remember MPH I raced and beat him 4 times. Worse than Nitas race. He has 397 RWHP

Comment

Response to Mesa,

I have a little more time to talk about the '79. They definitely have the potential to be a beast. However, the power is robbed by a very low 8:1 (approx. compression ratio, but that can be changed with an engine rebuild , manifold preheater butterfly, pellet style converter, and a 2" pipe. However, even with this setup, the 400 4sp still makes 220hp and 320(approx) lbs of torque. Mine was actually tapped with dual exhaust from the dealership when the original owner picked it up so it has a little more punch then factory Just by doing the exhaust, putting dual high flow cats, and headers the engine will breath with new life. I am going to do very few things to mine, but I am going to do the exhaust and headers since the pipes were torn up anyway. I am also going to retro-fit the butterfly on the shaker to make it functional. The car is Very torquey and it moves from 0 to 100. They are fun, but a totally different world from my '97. If you like the old stuff and you can do a lot on your own, you can get a late 70s fairly cheap and have fun. If you want a daily driver performance machine with all of the amenities get the 4th gen. Good Luck!
                            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

$

Im looking to spend about 7,000.00 to start and mod from there

Comment

Working...
                              X