No announcement yet.

What a great day... Z06 AND 911 Turbo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 79 as well that I swapped a nitroused 455, built TH400, a ladder bar rear suspension, that was one fun car. I later learned that subframe connectors were vital. After one mild wheelstand and subsequent landing, the doors wouldn't open. That was fixed and after that, no problems. I miss that car even though the newer ones drive so differently.

Comment

I wanted to bring this thread back from the dead
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
        I have never gone to the track but I have raced two of my friends who have.

Nita: 12.25 @ 113 mph Ram Air Formula 370RWHP
        Raced her from a roll on the highway and took her by 10+ cars.

Steve: 12.40 @ Don't remember MPH I raced and beat him 4 times. Worse than Nitas race. He has 397 RWHP

Is that an 05 Z06 we're talking about? I thought I heard traps in the high 120's for that car.......or is this the 04 in your pic? I cant tell which one is the Z06...or maybe both are?
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
          Is that an 05 Z06 we're talking about? I thought I heard traps in the high 120's for that car.......or is this the 04 in your pic? I cant tell which one is the Z06...or maybe both are?
          There is no '05 Z06.

The C5 Z06 ran the times that Norm was talking about... the C6 Z06 wil be trapping in the 120s.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
            There is no '05 Z06.

The C5 Z06 ran the times that Norm was talking about... the C6 Z06 wil be trapping in the 120s.

Gotcha, I wasnt sure if it came out yet.....
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
              I have a little more time to talk about the '79. They definitely have the potential to be a beast. However, the power is robbed by a very low 8:1 (approx. compression ratio, but that can be changed with an engine rebuild , manifold preheater butterfly, pellet style converter, and a 2" pipe. However, even with this setup, the 400 4sp still makes 220hp and 320(approx) lbs of torque. Mine was actually tapped with dual exhaust from the dealership when the original owner picked it up so it has a little more punch then factory Just by doing the exhaust, putting dual high flow cats, and headers the engine will breath with new life. I am going to do very few things to mine, but I am going to do the exhaust and headers since the pipes were torn up anyway. I am also going to retro-fit the butterfly on the shaker to make it functional. The car is Very torquey and it moves from 0 to 100. They are fun, but a totally different world from my '97. If you like the old stuff and you can do a lot on your own, you can get a late 70s fairly cheap and have fun. If you want a daily driver performance machine with all of the amenities get the 4th gen. Good Luck!

yeh i loved my 77, 400 with an auto....very torquey...but its a wholedifferent world in my 96.
              1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

good writeup.....I love my Z and my Formula.......both are a blast in their own different ways
                DWS
                Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                  I wanted to bring this thread back from the dead
                  You ain't kiddin'....dead! That fever must be really high.

Comment

I have a 2004 vette that runs 12.5 in the 1/4 miles and it's stock. The only thing I've put on it was CAI.

Comment

This thread keeps going, and going, and going..................
                      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Norman,
                        How does a C5 Z06 stack up against a C6? I've read they have very similar numbers. Isn't the LS2 a slightly bored LS6? Whats your opinion from someone whos owned both?
                        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ponyrider
                          I have a 2004 vette that runs 12.5 in the 1/4 miles and it's stock. The only thing I've put on it was CAI.
                          Well, I guess its not stock then, is it?? lol

Anyways, geez Jay, quit grave-robbin' and let this thread R.I.P. lol
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                            Norman,
                            How does a C5 Z06 stack up against a C6? I've read they have very similar numbers. Isn't the LS2 a slightly bored LS6? Whats your opinion from someone whos owned both?
                            Same stroke different bore.

Stock LS1(5.7) = 346 cubic inches / 3.898" bore x 3.622" stroke
                            Stock LS2(6.0) = 364 cubic inches / 4.000" bore x 3.622" stroke

Comment

Snob

Don't mean to be a Drag race snob, but you guys are drooling over slow drag cars. Line any one of those cars up against a real drag car, and you will see the rear of it as soon as the light goes green. For about 20,000, (about 1/3 to 1/10of the cost of some of these), if you go with the right car and parts. You can build a car, (if you have the ability), that could break into the 9 second zone, and be very streetable. That would beat any of these cars badly. I personally built a car for about 45,000 that ran in the 4.70 range, (1/8th mile, about 7.40 1/4), this was not streetable however. Hope this starts some conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Vince
                                Don't mean to be a Drag race snob, but you guys are drooling over slow drag cars. Line any one of those cars up against a real drag car, and you will see the rear of it as soon as the light goes green. For about 20,000, (about 1/3 to 1/10of the cost of some of these), if you go with the right car and parts. You can build a car, (if you have the ability), that could break into the 9 second zone, and be very streetable. That would beat any of these cars badly. I personally built a car for about 45,000 that ran in the 4.70 range, (1/8th mile, about 7.40 1/4), this was not streetable however. Hope this starts some conversation.
                                And yet of them stock, thus no bearing on the topic of discussion. Try starting your own thread instead of hijacking.
                                Steve
                                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                                X