how to get a good launch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get a good launch

Im new when it comes to muscle cars having a hard time lauching my firebird I peel out to much any tips
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

So your Using a V6. Can We get Year, and all those goodies, like mods?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

1995 firebird formula just bought it has 133k not one scratch or dent ( previous owner says its a firehawk but i think its a clone)theres lots of mods Ill list most of them Im a ex riceburner guy so im not up on musclecars ramair,3:42 limited slip rear differential, 3"carsound hi flow cat , borla stainless 3"y pipe, edlebrock muffler 3'' cut out system ,slp thermostatand overflow container, lt4 knock module ,slp clutch kit including disc plate and t/o bearing ,5.0pro shifter ,sway bars , oem Ile springs and struts Ile carbon struts ,jre spings ,Holley throttle body airfiol and throttle body bypass ,felpro heads ,poly torque arm bushings, poly transmission mount ,skip shift eliminator, hypertech chip and more dont know what half of it is please give some lauch tips thanks
      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

You need really sticky tires or launch technique won't matter much. BFGoodrich and Nitto both make DOT drag radials with some decent bite. Once you get better tires, then launch technique will come into play.

Comment

Practice!

My M6 camaro I'd get the RPM's to about 2200 or so, and then let the clutch out and SLOWLY feed in more throttle.. You wanna keep the tires RIGHT on the edge of breaking loose. As you start going faster, more throttle.

Shift to second, do it again.

Again though - practice.
          And stickier/wider tires will help as well
          99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Wider tires only help so much though.

If its wet out, or if you get a bit of snow or mud on the pavement, you'll be all over the place. = \ That and you'll only be able to go so wide too.

Slicks would be your best bet if you're worried about track only.
            If you're in pure/real street catagory, then you'll need the BGF Drag radials, M/T E.T. Streets or Nittos that are D.O.T. approved...

Might want to stay away from using drag radials for a DD unless you don't drive much in the rain. They can be quite a handfull in the rain from what I hear. (getting my first pair this race season) That and they won't last NEAR as long as a regular radial by any meens. I've herd BFG's get about 9000km on a daily driver and the Nittos last around 12,000kms. I don't know anyone who uses the M/T's so I can't tell you anything abou them...

I picked up a copy of Chevy High Performance dated April 2007 the other day and there's a nice drag tire section that covers all aspects of tire choices, tire pressure, burnouts, compounds, ect... there's also tips on storage for the off season as well.

Comment

thanks guys about how much do those tires run

Comment

Exactly what wheels and tires do you have on it now. The Firehawk came with 17x9" wheels, 275/40-17 tires. If its a "clone", tell us what wheels and tires are on it.

I run 315/35-17 BFG Drag Radials and 17x11" wheels, and they will pull pretty good on the street, considiring I'm pushing about 500 flywheel HP through a very high stall converter and 4.11 gears. But, as noted in the posts above, they are not intended to be driven in the wet. I haven't had any problems with excessive tread wear on the street, but the car doesn't get driven on the street much any more.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 offers about the best combination of wet and dry traction available. A set of 275/40-17's should go a long way toward improving traction.

Then there's the suspension - does the car have aftermarket lower control arms (LCA's) or LCA relocation brackets? Both of those will help plant the tires. I found the LCA relocation brackets were a major factor in eliminating wheel hop when the car was still an M6 with a 3.73 Strange 12-bolt.

You also indicate in you long list of mods (PLEASE add some commas, so it can be read) that you have "nos"..... does this mean you are running a nitrous (N2O) kit? If so, hooking on the street with nitrous is close to impossible. You end upp spraying only in 2nd gear and above.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

ramair,3:42 limited slip rear differential, 3"carsound hi flow cat , borla stainless 3"y pipe, and edlebrock muffler 3'', cut out system, slp thermostat, and overflow container, lt4 knock module, slp clutch kit including disc plate and t/o bearing, 5.0pro shifte,r sway bars, nos, oem 1le springs and struts 1le carbon struts, jre spings, Holley throttle body airfiol and throttle body bypass felpro heads, poly torque arm bushings, poly transmission mount, skip shift eliminator, hypertech chip
                  hope that helps ppl out some. what shot u running? also Il3 is worng, its 1LE, also hyperteck is hypertech
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

they are 17" rims and say ws6 performace package i want tires that are good for street racing put dont cost a arm and leg can i get ur opinion considering i get new tires and get my launch technique down can i beat these cars there my friends and famly 94 honda civic coupe with a h22 intake headers exhaust with and without nos, 2003 wrx intake exhuast my dad 2005 stang gt intake exhaust automatic my uncle and a 97 stang gt intake exhaust bored to a 4.8 my mods are at the begining of these threads

Comment

they run close to 200, ive had good luck with the BFG g-Force KDW(Key Dry, Wet), they were about 130 for 245/50R16 for my third gen, so they prob are 150 for urs

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

200 a tire

Comment

I dont have nos that was one of the mods he had listed nos oem Ile springs I have stacks of records i need to look through probaly 300 or more pages it may be different i dont have the papers with me wright now im at work sorry bout the spelling and commas im not the best typer and i was drinking last night wth some friends can someone tell if i can beat any of those cars before i race them and embaris my self thanks

Comment

u should run mid to high 13s easly, the civic will be no match. as far as the other, it depends.

Comment

the previous owner said he was running high 12s how bout the other cars ,and the civic has a 200 hp motor with nos he said hed race with and without nos everone wants me to race him they say id win if he doesnt use nos but might lose if he does opinions please thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X