Any help would be great

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help would be great

sup guys, im new to this forum. I have a 97 Z28 that Im in the process of putting bilstein shocks and eibach lowering springs. I started with the passenger side, finished no problem. I then proceeded to the Driver side and ran into something different. On the top of the shock, there was some sort of sleeve, dust cover and grommet. Totally unlike the passenger side. I found this was the reason it was so hard to get the damn shock mount off the driver side. The sleeve was practically glued to the mount. I tried using a screw driver and hammer to get this sleeve off but no use. I had to cut the shock to the get the lower base plate off that holds seats the bottom of the spring. I went to the chevy dealer, the shop foreman said he new what it was but didnt really explain. He said I had to order such and such parts to get the sleeve. I wasnt to confident in it but ordered to parts just to see. Has anyone else run into this problem? Ive looked on the internet and it seems everyone has just dropped in the new springs and shocks no problem. If the parts arent correct from the dealer, a machine shop said he could duplicate the sleeve. I think it has something to deal with the ABS system. I just find it odd that the driver had side had this and the passenger didnt. Any input would be great.
    Attached Files

Since you're new to the forum, I'll let you slide this time but in the future please do not post your thread title in all caps. Future posts like that will simply be deleted. Don't take offense, that's just the way it is around here. I've edited it for you this time.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Here's all the parts in a stock shock setup, from my unmolested/bought it new 1994:

Which parts are you referring to? The black sleeve is both a dust cover, and the jounce bumper. The top of the sleeve has a crumbly white rubber jounce bumper in it.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks for the edit and letting it slide....as for the shock...

Thanks for the input, I took some more pics so you can see the difference. Your pics dont seem to have them.
        Attached Files

Comment

???

anybody else have any suggestions?

Comment

Looks like it might be a metal cap or whatever is under the plastic shroud on the stock dust cover.... like the plastic was broken away and lost, leaving just the metal cap and the rubber bumper. Doean't explain why its only in one side. Its 8 years since I changed my stock shocks, but I thought the rubber bumper in the stock cover was a white material, and not black.

In any case, its not what needs to be there. I like the dust cover, and you need a jounce bumper, because there is no provision elswhere on the front suspension to limit compression. Many people just leave it all off though.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X