Rear Control Arms - Removing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Injuneer
    What are you "preloading"? The subframe/bracket and the axle/bracket clamp down on the metal sleeve that goes through the bushing (or the rod end). There is virtually no "play" in that sleeve, since the ID is selected to match the bolt diameter. As long as the bolt through the subframe end is parallel to the bolt through the axle end, there shouldn't be any load on the poly bushings at all. And rod-ends could care less if there is any preload, because they can pivot to accomodate the bolts being out of parallel.
    I don't know what I'm preloading. I'm not arguing with you, I don't know anything about it, I was just saying what the instructions said. Here it is from BMR's website.

"4. Once both new control arms are installed and bolts are finger tight, load the rear suspension by placing the jack stands under the axle. This is required to properly load the bushings before tightening the mounting bolts. Tighten bolts to 85-90 ft/lbs."

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/instructions/B-BodyCA.htm
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Pretty straight Forward. I just Rested the tired on some Ramps. Worked fine
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        What are you "preloading"? The subframe/bracket and the axle/bracket clamp down on the metal sleeve that goes through the bushing (or the rod end). There is virtually no "play" in that sleeve, since the ID is selected to match the bolt diameter. As long as the bolt through the subframe end is parallel to the bolt through the axle end, there shouldn't be any load on the poly bushings at all. And rod-ends could care less if there is any preload, because they can pivot to accomodate the bolts being out of parallel.
        i'd have to agree, i don't see why preloading that part of the suspension would make any difference at all. it's not like you could put the bushings on a bind by tightning down the bolts before setting the car down.
        87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Originally posted by MunsonGTA
          i'd have to agree, i don't see why preloading that part of the suspension would make any difference at all. it's not like you could put the bushings on a bind by tightning down the bolts before setting the car down.
          No but you at least have the car at riding point, not at the point in which the Axle is resting on the Struts.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
          X