MAF Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF Question

I've read a lot here about dirty or defective MAF's. My question is if I have a dirty or defective MAF couldn't it be diagnosed by simply disconnecting the MAF and letting the computer default to speed density mode? I've read a lot about the pro's and con's of speed density mode but used as a simple diagnosis tool wouldn't the car run better with the MAF disconnected if it was bad?

I have a 97 Formula with pretty much a stock LT1 setup.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

If you disconnect the MAF it should set off an SES light. It could be dirty, could be contaminated if you have a K&N filter with to much oil. There are ways to clean it I think with some electronics Cleaner. You can try the Resistor mod, but I don't recommend it.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

OK that's all well and good, but if it's bad wouldn't disconnecting it make the car run better, at least to diagnose the issue? Not as a long term solution, but more to confirm the MAF is bad.

Comment

<<I've read a lot here about dirty or defective MAF's.>>

The solution to a dirty MAF is to trot down to OReillys Auto Parts, buy a can of MAF Cleaner (Spray--$7) and spend 10 minutes cleaning your MAF.

The symptoms of a dirty MAF are obvious. Power loss under load, across the RPM spectrum but especially between 2500 and 4000 RPMs, and the general feeling that the fuel pump is going out, or the cats are stopped up, or something much more sinister.

My ragtop has 117,000 miles on it, and I thot sure I had the cat problem that GM extended the cat warranty for on the 2000 Z-28. Had a guy suggest the MAF cleaner, and in 15 minutes the ragtop was purring like new again.
        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Lol, yea but a lot of other things can cause those symptoms too. Cleaning a MAF that's totaled isn't going to magically revive it. Still doesn't answer the question, but thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
          X