Gears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lsdengines
    What gears actually do and what the number means is a ratio. say you have a 3.42 gear, that means 3.42:1, or 3.42 rotations of the driveshaft for 1 rotation of the axle. When you change gears you are changing the rpm at a given mph. Higher gears(lower number) like a 2.73 will lower your rpms at a given mph(great for gas mileage, top end runs, etc) where lower gears (higher number) like a 4.10 will raise the rpms at a given mph(great for drag racing, short track road racing, etc.) I agree that if you have a 3.42 gear, keep it, its a good street gear, and not worth the money or trouble to step up to a 3.73(you'll notice the drop in gas mileage more than the performance gain).
    As far as Rustangs go, I used to be a Melvin, they need to stretch their rpms as much as possible with the 4.6, so 4.30 gears are not out of the norm for serious street/strip mustangs. Where the lt and ls engines do like to rev, they have very good torque.
    Thank you for lesson In Gears 1o1.

When I was talking about the Rustangs is b/c they always run boost, only way to make them go. ha ha ha. With the S/C boys they need a High numerical gear to keep that engine rev'ed and at peak Boost. With Turbo you would want a lower Gear to keep some load on the engine in order to spool up the turbo's. In Holmes'es case, He just wants something to mess around in. For him I would leave it as is or Go to a numerically lower gear to get better gas mileage b/c he's riding a bike to work to save money on gas. ha ha ha ha ha
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I have 3:42 rear slip differiantiol , is that 3:42 gears
      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
        I have 3:42 rear slip differiantiol , is that 3:42 gears
        Where did you find that...if so, yes you have 3:42 gears with LSD.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

the guy's mod list,Is that stock on the ride or after market, whats LSD
          2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

3.42 was the numerically highest gear ratio offered by GM. If it was a mod that he listed...it could be that it was an upgrade from 3.23s.

LSD is stands for Limited Slip Differential. GM coins it as Posi for Chevy and Safe-t-Trac for Pontiac.

LSD defined

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Actually.......

because these rear ends were taken from the S-10 pickup, there are ratios from GM that go all the way up to 4:10 but not in the f-body.

Automatic trans cars got 2.73 standard or 3.23 if the performance gear ratio option is checked. Only manual transmission cars got the 3.42 except 93 where a 2.73 rear was standard and that was because of different ratios in the t-56 trans.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Actually.......

because these rear ends were taken from the S-10 pickup, there are ratios from GM that go all the way up to 4:10 but not in the f-body.
                I stand corrected, I meant f-body by the way.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                X