Coolent through the intake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolent through the intake?

This may be a dumb question, but on the LT1 engine, does coolent flow through the intake? In other words, can a blown intake gasket leak coolent into the combustion chamber? (an only the combustion chamber; no external leaks)?
    '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

nope, LT1 is dry, sounds like either a bad headgasket or somehow the coolant line in the throttle body is leaking into the manny some how
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

<sigh> thanks for the reply.

Will I need any additional gaskets besides the intake, head, and valve cover gaskets? It's gonna be a long weekend. Let's pray for no broken exhaust manifold bolts

Comment

u can pull the heads off with the manifolds attached, just disconnect them where they meet the y pipe
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
          u can pull the heads off with the manifolds attached, just disconnect them where they meet the y pipe
          Really?! Wow, I think that just made this job half as bad! I never would have thought you could do that. Thank you for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by brothapig
            ... In other words, can a blown intake gasket leak coolent into the combustion chamber? (an only the combustion chamber; no external leaks)?
            Yes, it can.
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
              Yes, it can.
              How? No coolant flows in the intake with exception of the throttle body coolant line.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I think we're now referring to the head gasket, as we've already said that the intake does not have any coolant passages...unless I'm mistaken.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Update

Well, I guess it's time for an update

I did not have any external coolent leaks - until I pulled it into the shop yesterday. Turns out it was the water pump the whole time. Bearings were completely out. Got that done in a day, then changed oil and trans fluid.

So far so good. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions during the time I thought it was a head gasket.

Comment

no coolant goes through the intake just the throtle body but i dont know how it would get through there. unless the coolant is in the oil and coming up through the pcv.
                    forged 383 LT1,11.5:1 compression,main girdle,custom comp cam,1.6 pro magnum rocker arms,ported heads,hooker supercomps,3"true duals,52mm throttle body,accel 300+ ignition,centerforce dfx clutch,B&M shifter,soon a 175 shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X