No announcement yet.

Grinding noise from the rear - 99 SS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats the one you need. yeah it comes with everything. Including the crush washer. My kit didnt come with that but it was only $2 from the dealer with employee discount (My buddy is a service advisor). Just be careful, there is a chance that the rear pinion bearing might not fit. I had to buy one at the parts store b/c the one in the kit was the wrong one. I called summit up and they refunded me $35 that the bearing costed me.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Cool.. well, hopefully all is well after.. That's really the only thing wrong with the car.. Once I get that noise taken care of - it's on to the more important things - like horsies!

thanks again
      99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Just an update - I have it at a freind of a friend's shop - dropped it off this morning.

He told me the carrier bearings were TOAST.

He said that also - while the stock gears are OK, they're not great. He said that when he puts them back in they're undoubtedly going to be noisy.

Ok, you talked me into it...

I ordered a set of Motive 3.90 gears to be overnighted to the shop.....

I wasn't really planning on doing gears anytime soon - but I don't want crappy gears in the rear end. And if it's popped open and disected already - why not?

Couldn't decide on 3.73's or 4.10's - so I went with the 3.90's..

I'll let you guys know how they work out. Should be done tomorrow if the gears get there on time.

Comment

i personally would have gone with 4.10s cuz u have the 6th gear but there wont be much difference between 3.9s adn 4.1s
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

It is the rear pinion seal and possibly the pinion gear. I had to have mine repalced at about 80,000 miles, and the pinion gear was bad enough that I had both wheel bearings repalced also becuase of metal in the rear lube. With the noise, I would say it's the gear also. Otherwise, your description is a perfect mirror of the symptoms I had right down to the little drip of oil on the garage floor.
            2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

yeah ragtop - it was the pinion seal, bearings, and carrier bearings.

88bird5spd - it's a fairly new gear ratio for the 10 bolts, and I wanted to try it. Most said go with 4.10's - some said they're too much for DD'ing... I dunno.. The 3.90's should be a nice fit for me.

They're so cheap I can change them down the line if need be!

I'll report back with a review once they're in.

Comment

Good to hear you're getting it taken care of. Let me know how the 3.90s feel...I never even knew they made 'em for the 10-bolts.

Also, as cheap insurance, you may want to think about a girdle for the rear end, like this...

...that has the carrier bearing reinforcement studs. Obviously, Summit sells one, as do a few others (TA Performance, Moser, etc.). Just a thought
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Gears are in, they feel great.. I haven't ripped on it yet though because I want them to break-in properly. Got about 75 miles so far, and a few heat cycles (everyone says differently on how to break-in!).

They definitely feel a lot zippier than the stockers. And the grinding noise is GONE! Woot woot!

He showed me the old carrier bearing and it was all pitted up.

I'll definitely be getting the reinforced cover - will probably order one next week and put it on when I change the diff oil at about 1000 miles.

Now I just gotta work on getting the speedo re-programmed!

Thanks guys.

Comment

Good to hear she's running good again
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                    X