Strange Reving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Reving

I was just out driving and I let off the gas and it stayed at 2000 RPM, then crept up to 2500. I then put it into neutral and it shot up to 4500. It did it real quick, almost like I was revving the engine at a line of hot women. So what's going on?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Could be the idle air control valve. It is directly responsible for maintaining idle speed when the throttle is closed. When it gets carbon fouled you get the symptoms that you describe.

Comment

Also, check that the mat isn't lodged between the accelerator and the floor. It's happened to me before . . . . .
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

take a look at your throttle body and hit it with some throttle body cleaner and a paper towel. make sure to hit in between the butterfly valves too, that's your idle.

and check your vac hose that connects to the intake
        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

I haven't had the problem since that one incident. Although the mat getting jammed with the accelerator sounds like a very plausible theory, it just doesn't fit what happened (can't really explain it). I just cleaned out the TB two weeks ago and the IAC seems to be working just fine idling at about 800 at a stop. I'll post if this happens again.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
          X