cams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPack
    To be perfectly honest, shorty headers would be a waste of money. For all the work you are going to do to get them in, might as well get long tubes and see nice gains. Shorty headers only flow slightly better than stock.

Here is where I got mine. If you are looking to pass Emissions, you will need ones with those provisions. Here is the non emissions ones.

Non Emissions longtubes

Here is the Y pipe (ORY)
    Offroad Y Pipe
    I think I might pass on the headers 12-20 hp for for $700,when I can get 100hp fron a nitro kit for the sameprice
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
      I think I might pass on the headers 12-20 hp for for $700,when I can get 100hp fron a nitro kit for the sameprice
      Headers are not $700. Plus Your better off spending it on something thats going to give you continues power, unlike nitrous that only gives you power when its activated. I think you will wear down your engine shooting NOS all the time.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
        Headers are not $700. Plus Your better off spending it on something thats going to give you continues power, unlike nitrous that only gives you power when its activated. I think you will wear down your engine shooting NOS all the time.
        headers are 350 but the install is 300-400 at a shop,the install and a tune for nitro is only $200
        2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

To be perfectly honest, shorty headers would be a waste of money. For all the work you are going to do to get them in, might as well get long tubes and see nice gains. Shorty headers only flow slightly better than stock.
          Some of that is an urban legend. Shorties don't offer the low end torque of a long tube. Savy racers know that if they have an automatic trans, lengthening the collector on long tubes will help their launch as it maximized torque below the torque peak. Often times this whole process is confused with HP gains and people assume that long tubes give more HP. In fact, I've seen some cars with shorties make more power than another combination with long tubes.

With a proper high flow Y pipe, shorties deliver very close to the same upper end HP as long tubes. I ran 107 mph with a stock LT-1 shortblock, heads and bolt ons in a full weight car running SLP shorties and Random Tech Y pipe. I never saw a comparible LT-1 with long tubes and other similar mods run faster. At best they were about the same.

Comment

Good point Joe. My brother and My buddy both ran Shorties and they can Some pretty noticable gains. Pushed my Buddy 13.59 with just tires, TB,Control arms and Shorties headers with cut out after cat. They do pretty good. Seems like you get more gain on an LSx engine with long tubes than on an LTx.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

would I get more of a gain from shorty's,since I have cutout,hiflowcat and borla ypipe

Comment

would I get more of a gain from shorty's,since I have cutout,hiflowcat and borla ypipe
                You should be fine with shorties. Either way thats the only ones you can get to pass smog.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                  You should be fine with shorties. Either way thats the only ones you can get to pass smog.
                  ill think Ill get headers,my luck ill blow my engine with nos nad it is my daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    Some of that is an urban legend. Shorties don't offer the low end torque of a long tube. Savy racers know that if they have an automatic trans, lengthening the collector on long tubes will help their launch as it maximized torque below the torque peak. Often times this whole process is confused with HP gains and people assume that long tubes give more HP. In fact, I've seen some cars with shorties make more power than another combination with long tubes.

With a proper high flow Y pipe, shorties deliver very close to the same upper end HP as long tubes. I ran 107 mph with a stock LT-1 shortblock, heads and bolt ons in a full weight car running SLP shorties and Random Tech Y pipe. I never saw a comparible LT-1 with long tubes and other similar mods run faster. At best they were about the same.
                    Well I guess my dyno sheets are off then. I picked up 22 HP over the shorties. 29 over stock. This going through the same magnaflow 3 inch all the way out. Should also note that pipe diameter was increased over the shorties though and non emissions. I wasn't very pleased with how the car felt after the shorty install after all the work to get them in. Also modifications had to be made on the drivers side to get them to clear the steering shaft. Was not a happy camper.

Jim
                    President of N.I.F.B.A.
                    Live in the Chicagoland area, want to be in a car club?
                    Click here to visit the NIFBA

Comment

Well I guess my dyno sheets are off then. .

Or something else. Not everyone's results are always the same. Factory Y pipe? Cats? who knows what it is. You experienced it once, I've seen it a bunch of times. Like I posted before, I've seen intances with shorties that outperformed long tubes and I've seen the other way around. The fact remains that all parts are not created equal, not every motor responds the same, and when Mars aligns with Venus............

It's the correct COMBINATION of parts that makes an engine run at it's peak. And that word peak is part of the misconception as well. If your gains made you happy, great. When I did a long tube conversion of a buddy's 95, we built his combo exactly as mine except for the shorties. He wanted Hooker long tubes. The result was within 2 HP (my advantage ) , not even worth mentioning due to percentage error. Needless to say he was disappointed, as many are when the expected gains from long tubes aren't realized. Another set of shorties were installed on a very nasty 355 cid small block that turned rougly 8500 rpm. It wasn't mine, but watched the dyno. Amazing...... not much power below 3500, but once it crossed that mark it turned into an evil pulling banshee. Even the dyno tuner qouted...... "Long tubes would help before it comes onto the cam, their biggest benefit is boosting torque below the torque peak." The owner wouldn't listen because it wasn't a street car where low end torqe was an issure, he left the line at 4000.

So the bottome line is listen to all the advice from every angle and do what you feel is right. If you got the gains you were looking for, great.

Comment

just talked to a shop owner,And he told me I would notice 20-30hp from some shorty's

Comment

just talked to a shop owner,And he told me I would notice 20-30hp from some shorty's
                          That might be Crank. But that seems like a little to much HP. You will notice the difference the less. Some cars respond to them better than others.
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

18-20 HP with no other changes, 20-25 if you do the Y pipe, maybe a couple more with an off road pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                              18-20 HP with no other changes, 20-25 if you do the Y pipe, maybe a couple more with an off road pipe.
                              I have a hiflowcat and a borla ypipe

Comment

Working...
                              X