No announcement yet.

transmission winding noise at high rpms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Countershaft is bearing assembly on the front part of your transmission that sticks out of the front of the transmission and goes through the center of your flywheel. On the inside of your transmission, this part includes a front bearing that spins constantly at the same RPM as your motor. It's a vulnerable part since it's always spinning. If this is your problem, a rebuild might be in order - How long your transmission lasts depends on how hard you drive it, if you've kept up with the fluid changes, etc. Don't rule out that you could have a bad throwout bearing too - an easy and semi-cheap fix....
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

So something else to add to this. Occassionally there will be an awful winding sound when the car is sitting idling. However, when i push the clutch in the sound will go away..

Does this sound like bearings still?

-Erik

Comment

anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Sounds like an input shaft bearing to me.
          Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

Working...
          X