power brakes and boost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power brakes and boost

If running boost, does anything need to be done as far as the brake booster is concerned? Or should I just switch to manual brakes? Drag racers, what are you guys running for brakes? Thanks.

never heard of anybody running manual brakes because of boost, as long as you have enough vacuum from your cam, you should be fine
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

When you close the throttle and apply the brakes, there shouldn;'t be any boost in the intake manifold. Should work normally. Obviously there's no vacuum at all when your in boost, but you aren't going to be applying the brakes then anyway. If you want to brake stall the converter on the line, apply the brakes before you step on the throttle and the boost starts to come in.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the oem checkvalve was enough(i.e. pressure getting into the booster and causing issues). I have plenty of vacuum with the cc305 cam Im running right now, and I'm only stepping up to a slightly larger xfi cam with the turbo setup, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

The only time it might become an issue is when you brake torque for high boost launches. You might want to throw just a couple of no load revs just to build a little extra vacuum before locking the brakes.

Comment

thanks, I haven't made up my mind if im going to use a trans brake or not, if I do, it won't be an issue launching in boost.

Comment

Working...
            X