What kind of Exhaust should i get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of Exhaust should i get?

Want some more sound out of my car what should i get muffler+tips or full catback
    1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Full cat back. Stainless steel. Either the Borla or the SLP LMI.

Flowmaster does nothing for performance just sounds good.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I'll have to disagree with that. When i first got my flowmaster exhaust done, i noticed a difference in power. And IMO, its the best bang for the buck. It sounds awesome, especially through long tube headers.
      1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

The stock exhaust is so restrictive anything would be an improvement.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

dont just do the muffler...the pipes are so thin that it wont make much of a difference

SLP is good but theyve become very pricey....i would go with flowmaster of magnaflow

Comment

The driving factor here is money not name brand. How much are you willing to spend? The cheapest one is the Dynamax (mufler and tail pipes. No intermediate pipe) around $250. (I think everything else comes with a larger intermediate pipe which will help performance.) The Flowmaster and Magnaflow is ~$380. The SLP is next at $430 but it is LOUD. The Borla is ~$750. The Corsa is $800 and up. So how much do you want to spend?

http://www.lmperformance.com/c/7/2.html
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by RICEATER94Bird
              I'll have to disagree with that. When i first got my flowmaster exhaust done, i noticed a difference in power. And IMO, its the best bang for the buck. It sounds awesome, especially through long tube headers.
              You Can disagree all you want but If your going for sound then go for it but its not going to give you as much power as is possible. Like Jeff stated, the stock system is trash and should be replaced right away. I recommend a complete Repipe. Full 3" Stainless steel pipes with Mandle bends. SLP it not to pricey compared to Borla or Corsa. SLP is very loud. Keep in mind that if you dont want it that loud that you can go with the LoudMouth II which is a little more quiet and A little more tuned than the LM I. I have the LM II on my LS1 and it sounds so much better and richer than an LS1 with a LM I.

And For less than $450, its a great deal. I would never recommend just changing the Muffler and tips. Thats doing it Half-A$$. No Bueno.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I would love to get my hands on a Borla catback. A little on the pricey side (that's why I haven't bought one yet) but the sound can be adjusted. It's good for 10 horses.

I've looked at the LM1 as well and the price is much more "reasonable" but I'm worried that it will be too loud.
                97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                  I've looked at the LM1 as well and the price is much more "reasonable" but I'm worried that it will be too loud.
                  Then the LMII would be a better choice.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Spintech's cat backs are quiet in comparison to most cat backs for our cars. If you want loud, go for the GMMG set up. It's expensive, but it's pretty darn loud. You can probably pick up a used Borla cat back for half what they cost new. A lot of people lose the plates that come with the exhaust, but you could probably order them new from Borla for cheap.

I love the sound of my exhaust (Flowmaster) but almost everyone I talk to says that Flowmaster doesn't flow well on our cars.
                    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                    SOLD- Good riddance!
                    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

GMMG's kit sounds friggen awesome. I've got the LM1 on Pacesetter mids and it sounds great. Not too loud around town...unless you tap the gas a little too much . As for the Flowmaster, it does make good power. I set up my sister's 96 Z with a custom setup from a local shop running a Flowmaster muffler, 3" in/dual 3" out. If you're going Flowmaster, make you don't get stuck with a smaller one.

My personal recommendation, get a cat-back. As for which cat-back, I still stand by the Loudmouth from SLP. Here's some sound clips after the headers and you can judge for yourself.

http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez/sounds/idling.aif

http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez/sounds/revving.aif
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I can't believe the attitude against Flowmaster. They make so many different types of exhaust and mufflers that its just ridiculous to say Flowmaster is no good. I used the 4" Mufflex on my car with the Flowmaster single in/single out race muffler. Made great power. Buddy of mine ran the Mufflex/Flowmaster setup at 1,125HP on his blown 383 LT1. When he removed the exhaust to save weight (50#), the car made absolutely no more power. The Mufflex/Flowmaster combo was not restricting it an any way. I took my Mufflex/Flowmaster off, and Joe 1320 was running it on his LT1.

Many people reference a "flow study" that is more than 20 years old, and compared a bunch of mufflers for flow, and the Flowmaster was not the best, it was near the bottom. But that single muffler from so long ago has nothing to do with what they make today. The LS1 crowd hates the Flowmaster, but I've seen various setups make excellent, dyno proven power.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I mean We put a Flowmaster on my old man 95 silverado. My Brother ran a 40 series on the Maro then an 8o series then went with SLP LMI and now he's going to run the Borla. Yeah Honestly I dont have anything against FM but I have notice LSx guys dont lean to much that way. It seems like the Half-A$$ way of going about it, with all the many options out there. I know my experience when my buddy had Shorties with the LM I on a 96 Z was very loud, almost as loud or as loud as a cut out but Legal. Maybe its just me, but I LOVE a very loud tuned car, And I must say the LM I on an LT1 is sick nice.
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

$390 SLP loudmouth II And gotta buy the install kit $32.95 Shipped Total $422.95 Shipped.
                            $265.95 Flowmaster from summit racing
                            $388.95 Magnaflow

i want it loud we got no emissions here
                            1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

Originally posted by 96FirebirdFormula
                              $390 SLP loudmouth II And gotta buy the install kit $32.95 Shipped Total $422.95 Shipped.
                              $265.95 Flowmaster from summit racing
                              $388.95 Magnaflow

i want it loud we got no emissions here
                              You dont need am install kit. what does that consist of? Call up Summit.

P.S. Get the Loudmouth I and maybe down the road an off-road y-pipe or a RandomTech Y-Pipe. Thats what My brother ran and let me tell you, It sounded SICK!!
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X