No announcement yet.

Audiophiles...need help with radio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to verify my suspicions by finding the wiring diagram for the 1996 10-speaker system. (W54 or W55)

The amp DOES NOT power the front or rear speakers. It only powers the two subwoofers which are 3.2 ohms each.

The amp DOES receive the signal from the front (left and right) and rear (left and right) channels, but DOES NOT output anything to these speakers. The signal is merely used to supply the amp with a consistent signal, regardless of where the front/rear fader is set.

The front kick panel speakers are 1)4 ohm midrange, and 2)4 ohm tweeter. It looks like they are wired in parallel, thus providing a 2 ohm load per front channel to the H/U. I do see what appears to be a crossover/bass blocker circuit, which may or may not be adding a small resistance to the circuit, and increasing the load to a safer level.

The rear (hatch) speakers are rather odd in that there are two speakers mounted to a plate. They are 1)10 ohm midrange and 2)8 ohm tweeter. I'm fairly sure they are providing a 4.44 ohm load per rear channel, as the alternative, 18 ohm doesn't make much sense.

Question: Do most people remove the tweeter in the front or leave it in the circuit? By removing it, and using only the midrange/woofer, which is rated at 4 ohms, the front channel will provide a much safer 4 ohm load instead of a 2 ohm load, which may burn out the H/U internal amplification. What do you think?
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Im running the Infinity Kappa series that are rated at 2 ohms in the doors. Then a 4 ohm tweeter in the door as well. In the hatch I have a pair of Kenwood 4 ohm speakers. As for the subs in the sail panel, They are removed and am running one of the leads to a dual 4 ohm 8" JBL sub. Sounds good. The voice out of the Pioneer Tweeters Im running is crisp and almost hurts your ears. Im like you and Im trying to keep it as stock looking as possible but I wil admit that the stock system does lack Power when you really want to crack it up.

These systems are horrible when it comes to changing speakers. I went through about 6 pairs of speakers to finally be happy with the way my system sounds but Im planning on running Something like a 10" Comp VR and a small amp. I was thinking about a 10" solo-Baric Considering the insane amount of sound one of those can make but I'd rather not do to money.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

What really surprises me is that few people realize how different each model (and even model years) are. I read countless posts from people that truly have no idea what they have and simply put out bad information.
        While I can't say with any certainty what the 1993 - 1995 Firebirds had, I do know that the later years (maybe even as early as the 1997 Firebirds with the 10-speaker systems) were called "Monsoon", and seem to have a very different setup than my 1996. Again, this is based on a lot of information, but it seems the later years employed the amp to drive more than just the subwoofer. Perhaps this is why the sub doesn't sound as good in these vehicles?

All I know is what I have and what I do not have. It's not a Bose, and it's not a Monsoon. The H/U powers all the speakers except the subs. The front midrange is not 2 ohms like people are saying...it's 4 ohm. The amp is not a crossover for the front and rear speakers. It appears the front midrange has a passive crossover, while the tweeter is driven full range. The rear speakers also appear to be driven full range, but this is only based on what I can see on the schematic. My guess is there is a also a bass-blocker on that speaker as well, and the tweeter is driven full range.

In case you haven't figured it out yet...the reason I'm posting all of this is in the hopes that when someone else searches three hours for the "right" answers, he/she will stumble upon this post and get the correct information for a change.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

My 97 says "Monsoon" on the HU with 10 speakers. There is an amp back in the spare tire compartment but I'm not exactly sure what it powers.
          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Well, I just received (and installed) the new H/U from Crutchfield. I am happy to say all of my statements listed in this thread are true as confirmed by the paperwork that came from Crutchfield.

As for the H/U (radio)...WOW! The difference is amazing...and this with only a new H/U. The new Polk speakers are going in later.

I decided to get the Pioneer DEH-P77DH, which is a direct "plug and play" unit. It's the same size (1.5 DIN) as the stocker, so it looks factory.

The sound quality is far better than the Delco unit it replaced. The 22w x 4 RMS is very loud yet clear with no distortion (mind you...the stock speakers are only so-so, and the front driver's side midrange is torn). At half volume, it's loud enough to be almost uncomfortable...plenty powerful for me. I've installed 500 watt, multiple amp, dual subwoofer system in previous car's. I actually enjoy this more. It's loud but not painful...if that really means anything.

The subwoofer rumbles now, where previously, it tended to distort. I'm still using the stock amp to power them, but because the H/U can be tweaked on the low end now, I can limit or enhance the frequencies being supplied to it to maximize it's capabilities. It's really impressive...

Anyway, I'll get some pictures when I can and post for those thinking of doing this.

I wish I did this years ago. It's almost like having a whole new car again...
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

lets see pcitures!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Still working on it...I thought I'd be able to finish with the speakers tonight after work but it's too darn cold out there. The temperature (28 degrees F) is making it nearly impossible to do anything.

Hopefully, it'll be warmer tomorrow and maybe I can get back to work.
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Just finished the driver's side door. The Polk db 651 fit fine, using the stock pod or simply the ring adapter. the only problem with the stock plastic pod is the mounting holes don't line up with the Polk mounting holes. I decided to scrap it and use the Pol adapter ring. Now, there is a huge amount of room on the front side of the speaker. There is no way anything is going to hit the door cover or kick panel.

Still working on the other door. Man it's cold outside
                  Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Check out the finished product:

http://f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20994
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Back from the dead. Were you able to retain the RAP when you wired up your new head unit. I'm pretty sure I have everything else figured out with the exception of a one wire. I have 16 wires (1994 Formula w 10 speaker system) and everything I look at is only showing 14. I know the medium blue wire (3rd from left top of the harness) is for the steering wheel controls, but what is the one next to it? Is that for the RAP???

Thanks for any help

This is about the only place on the net I could find anything on this system.

Comment

All I did was hook up the adapter provided by Crutchfield. The radio is not hooked up to the steering wheel controls any longer. As for RAP...not exactly sure what you're asking but, the radio is powered with the car off, and does lose power like the windows and door locks after a set amount of time.

In essence, it operates just like the old radio did. (except for the steering wheel controls)
                        Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                          All I did was hook up the adapter provided by Crutchfield. The radio is not hooked up to the steering wheel controls any longer. As for RAP...not exactly sure what you're asking but, the radio is powered with the car off, and does lose power like the windows and door locks after a set amount of time.

In essence, it operates just like the old radio did. (except for the steering wheel controls)

Sweet. RAP is (Retained Accessory Power). How many pins were on the new harness? I'll be keeping my steering wheel controls with a PAC Pioneer Sony Steering Wheel Interface SWI-PS SWIPS. 3 wires and a plug into the back of the new head unit.

Comment

heh well ACTUALLY

I took the liberty of making mine a double din, that worked out pretty dang good, got a Jensen VM9022 in there,

I noticed that If you play with the fade on any HU even stock, the rear pass panel speakers seem to blend the front and rear, still havent figured that out myself. I think all the outputs still run through the factory amp.
                            -Alex
                            1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                            ZO6 wheels (clones)
                            LED exterior and interior lighting
                            With questionable guts:
                            Forged bottom end
                            free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                            pacesetter longtubes
                            T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                            Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                            K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                            96? ws6 hood
                            96? ws6 spoiler
                            full emissions delete
                            polished heads with oversize valve job
                            Edelbrock IAS shocks
                            Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                            Daily Driver and love it that way
                            Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Got a new HU in and working, steering wheel controls and all. Even got the back seat subs working. I have aftermarket speakers in the door and rear seat so it sounds pretty good. Running a Sony CDX-GT920U HU. I got it so I could control the Sony Walkman MP3 player I have. Works like a champ with the PAC SWI jack for the steering wheel. Even have control over the MP3 with the steering wheel. Pretty happy with the results.

Comment

Working...
                              X