Bearings in oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearings in oil

Found two of these bearings stuck to the magnet on the oil drain plug. Can anybody identify what they came from? Engine runs good with no strange noises.Approximately 6mm by 1.5 mm

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

looks like it could be a roller rocker bearing.

Comment

Yes it was. This is what the rocker looked like:

I hope the rest of the needle bearings and metal went into the filter!

Comment

Ouch.

Good thing you found it now. They wouldn't get past the pickup screen, they may still be hung up in the oil drainback galleys or on top of the head.

Comment

Good eye joe. Dang.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Its back together with a used rocker. I've been using synthetic since I got it, but the insides of the valve covers had some crud.

Good thing I noticed the needle bearings. if the lifter went, then a valve would go, and then a piston etc.

There wasn't any metal fragments on top of the head.

The pushrods were all good.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
              Good eye joe. Dang.

Comment

Wow that makes me cringe to look at. Suprised it wasn't making some kind of noise. Good catch!
                Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

I have heard of LS1s having rocker arm problems. It makes me wonder if I should change mine.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

My car has 95,000 miles on it. 90,000 with the previous owner(s) and I think using dyno oil. Use synthetic oil and don't red line it. Your LS1 has low miles, I wouldn't worry about it. Note I couldn't hear any unusual valvetrain noise.

Comment

Wow, you were lucky to catch it before all the needle bearings came out.

Did you take the rocker apart to see how many were missing versus how many that you found?

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

All the needle bearings were gone. I found 2. I estimate 38 others went into the engine oil.

Comment

Working...
                        X