VSS-150 Security System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSS-150 Security System

95 Z-28 with a dealer-installed GM model VSS-150 Security System. This vehicle is driven infrequently, and the alarm system will run the battery down (to the point that it won't crank) if the car is not driven for a few weeks. This sytem cannot be turned off -- all you can do is put it in the standby mode -- but it continues to drain the battery in that mode.

I pulled the fuses for the alarm system, but that triggers the "starter disconnect" mode. Is there a chance somebody has either a wiring diagram for the VSS-150 (it's not in the shop manual) or some advice about which wires to cut to disable this system.

Thanks,
    Skip

How about a battery tender instead. It should be enough to power the alarm and keep the battery up to snuff.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

If you cut the power wires and the starter won't work, that means it's an old Code Alarm based unit. They should still have a website and you might be able to get a wiring diagram from them. If it is this unit, then the side of the alarm should have two fairly large gauge wires plugged into it. If you disconnect these from the unit and reconnect them together, that will allow the starter to work. Then you can just remove the system with no worries.

This setup is exactly why GM switched to DEI based alarms in the late 90's. Their website is www.directed.com . They make a VASTLY superior alarm system, because they are the ones who make Viper, Sidewinder, Your Valet (GM's current add-on version), Python, and they also own PPI, Orion, and several other car audio based systems as well.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Alarm System

Thanks guys.

To Jeff- The battery tender is what I using now, but it really shouldn't be necessary. The vehicle is never parked where it's likely to be stolen, so I don't NEED an alarm system.

To MN6WS6-- Good info. I had the system out and saw those two big wires. I'll give that a try.

Comment

Just a short thank you to MN6WS6. Your info was accurate, and your adivice was right on. I never would have found Code Alarm without it. I sent them an email and they sent me the instructions with the wiring diagram. Like you said, shorting the two heavier gauge wires did the trick.

Thanks,
          Skip

Comment

No problem man. Glad I could help you out.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
            X