No announcement yet.

Trying to break 350HP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a goal of 350 to the wheels will require heads and cam. A cam alone...maybe, but it will have to be a peak hp cam just to get over the magic number. Rather, I'd suggest a good mid RPM cam with at least polished and ported heads. That will be much faster than a peak #s cam with stock heads.

If you downed your goal to 300, I've seen a few bolt-on LT1s hit this number. However, you're going to have to make sure you have most, if not all, bolt-ons. Long tubes, full exhaust, 1.6 RRs, great tune, etc. I know that Joe was definitely way over this 300 RWHP, but his car was pretty strong!

But watch out, if you add a cam to that mileage motor, get ready to pull the motor out for a rebuild. So many have added a cam to a high mileage motor and end up spinning a bearing or three. The increased RPM will hurt it. Mine broke at 127k on a stock cam, because I hit 6350 RPM (due to a tranny going south).
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT

But watch out, if you add a cam to that mileage motor, get ready to pull the motor out for a rebuild. So many have added a cam to a high mileage motor and end up spinning a bearing or three. The increased RPM will hurt it. Mine broke at 127k on a stock cam, because I hit 6350 RPM (due to a tranny going south).

Listen up here....... so many times I've seen a cam swap result in a spun bearing right after it goes together. If you plan on opening up the motor, better refresh the bearings.

Comment

defintaly i think i will just pick up another junk LT1 and rebuild the entire thing then just swap out the motors later on down the road. darn this really sucks. like i said now it seems like this wasnt worth it cause my V6 ran a low 14 i dont remember the numbers cause it was when i first got it a year or two ago. now all this crap ive went through and i cant even break 13.5s with a LT1 this blows lol. this darn car is getting soooooooo discouraging on everything GRRRRRR
        94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
        94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
        75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
        1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
        GOT PSi?
        Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

What year was the V6? Was it cammed??

You also have to imagine how much work you'd need to bring it from "low 14s" to 13.5...probably a 1.8 60' along with lots of internal motor work.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            What year was the V6? Was it cammed??

You also have to imagine how much work you'd need to bring it from "low 14s" to 13.5...probably a 1.8 60' along with lots of internal motor work.
            For the record, the v6s were not low 14s. More like high 14s.

I'm choosing the route of an LC2. turbo 3.8 ala 89 turbo T/A should get it done nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
              hey joe i love the look of the center exhaust, if i remember correctly there was a post that slp stopped making them? (correct me if im wrong please) but can you point me in a direction of where i can find a set.
              http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20860

Now the tips can usually be found on fleabay from time to time.

Comment

to be perfectly honest with you all no BS and you can call it if you want i understand i had high flow cat, muffler intake shift kit Accel Hypercoils under drive pulleys and my SLP intake. with 275s.
                94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                GOT PSi?

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                  Dude even with a cam it only put down 298? Wow. I would think it would be more

My brother 96 Z had a TB, MSD and coil, Shorties with random tech y-pipe, Panhard, 3" cat-back, K&N intake, and free mods plus Hypertech tune managed a high 13 second.
                  Yup 298...I remember it clearly because it was sure he'd break 300hp and was uberly angry to only put down 298. I'm sure he'd be closer to 320-330 with a tune.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Should of ran synthetic. Would free up like 1 or 2 HP. ha ha ha
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

well for the exhaust joe im just gonna make my own tailpipe. with two square pipes. i figured if i can do the V6 A4 to a LT1 M6 swap then heck exhaust just from the muffler back should be somewhat plausible lol. im just gonna get two square tips and buy 90 pieces and straight pieces and see how it turns out. hopefully not to hideous
                      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                      GOT PSi?

Comment

My car made 290 RWHP with the following:

functional ramair with a K&N filter and the hood open
                        Borla catback with e-cutout open
                        PCM4less tune
                        polished TB with airflow piece and coolant bypass
                        SLP LT4 clutch
                        Hurst shifter

I've added SLP stainless steel ceramic coated headers since the dyno runs. I'm just guessing, but I'm pretty sure I'm over the 300 RWHP mark now.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

darn i got my work cut out for me.....o well i love a challenge heck im happy the car is runing if everyone remembers how much of crap hole i went through putting this motor in lol but ill hit my 300 mark before the end of summer hopefully.
                          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                          GOT PSi?

Comment

You are going to have to change your screen name!

Comment

no well when i get pics up i have my sn on here on the top of my windshield. lol its quite hilarious. lol
                              94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                              75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                              GOT PSi?

Comment

Working...
                              X