Exhaust do's and don'ts help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust do's and don'ts help needed

I am new to the "computer controlled" V8 f-body for the record so please don't laugh if this is a silly question to you guys...

I am doing a 3.4 to LT1 swap. Our emission laws here are non-existant. NO INSPECTIONS AT ALL! Gotta' love it. So, the Q is can I run long tube headers and true dual exaust without cats in my '94 LT1 Camarao with out screwing up the ecm or do I have to stay put with the factory crossover style due to ecm issues?

I was told it has to stay the same due to back pressure and the ecm not reading properly. I do not have the utmost confidence in my source. Any input would be much appreciated guys. Thanks!
    There is no problem so great that cannot be resolved with the right amount of explosives!!!

'94 LT1/A4 Clone Stock (for now)
    '94 S10 Vortech 350/M5/Ford 8.8 Rear/3&3" Drop (shelved temporarily for the above clone)
    '09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
    '99 Blazer (Mine)

Headers and exhaust mods will work just fine. I would still suggest using high flow catalytic converters. There really isn't a restriction, the exhaust won't stink as bad, and it would pollute less. Besides that, on the street the exhaust note can be a bit harsh without cats. True duals can be done, but it's a bit tight.

The EGR is what could be affected by the lack of back pressure, it needs just a little bit to function properly. Even that could be programmed out of the computer by a competant flash programmer.

Comment

i would defintaly have to second joe on that on defintaly run high flow cats. will only cost about 200-300 max and its sooo much better for the car
      94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
      1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
      GOT PSi?
      Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

and dont worry about being new we might give you crap but if we wont laugh cause of a question. and if someone actually laughs at a question you have it just shows their level of maturity cause we all learnt the same way you are either doing it and screwing up or asking questions. i think you and me are one of few to tackle a v6 to v8 swap lol its like i was told when i started you will learn the car through and through. if you search through my threads you will see pics and posts from my swap ill look and see if i can send them to you. and i can point out a few trouble spots.!!!
        94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
        94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
        75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
        1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
        GOT PSi?
        Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

I love this forum, thanks guys!

Man, you guys are too cool. I need to send each one of you a case of your favorite "adult beverage" for all the great advice! I really appreciate your knowledge, I really do.
          There is no problem so great that cannot be resolved with the right amount of explosives!!!

'94 LT1/A4 Clone Stock (for now)
          '94 S10 Vortech 350/M5/Ford 8.8 Rear/3&3" Drop (shelved temporarily for the above clone)
          '09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
          '99 Blazer (Mine)

Comment

What year is the V8 engine and PCM out of? Does it have an MAF sensor (94-97) or not (93)? That will determine to a large extent when you need the PCM retuned. The 93 is speed-density, and is more sensitive to changes on the intake and exhaust than the MAF engines.

Here's a simple approach to duals... 3" Borla XR1 mufflers on the collectors, 3" pipes not quite to the rear axle, with turndowns pointed inward to keep some of the noise under the car (local track has a noise limit).

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X