I need help quick.......911

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help quick.......911

to be honest I trust you guys alot,And im going to be showing you guys pics through the next couple of days,Ive been wanting to get a supercharger for my mustang for this past year,(its the main mod that any 99-04 2v mustang gets)Im pretty broke so i cant afford a kenneBell supercharger that cost $6,000's bucks,so Ive been looking for a cheaper one

Well Im excited after waitng for a long time to find a good deal on a super charger,A guy on a local forum will sell me a used salean twin screw super chager for $1,800 It has everthing besides the fuel pump all my friends are saying go for it,GREAT DEAL,but I dont no anything about this S/C,brand new it sell for $5,000,So u can u guys give me info on the s-charger ,good /bad,the guy selling it had 355RWHP,on a stock 260 hp mustang and ran a 12.3

here's a link]

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...Series_IV.html

Im nervous im afraid i wont get a deeal like this in a long time,I want to make
    400RWHp with this kit

2) which kit is better ,I was about to order this vortech brand new for $2,500 already called for the price nad everthing,
    http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...r=V4FL218-010S

But now i can get this saleen s charger for $700 cheaper and i can keep my BBk cold air intake

opinions everone HEAlp............thanks
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

My first thought is since it is used there will be surprises that you hadn't thought about like missing something extra you need that will end up running the cost up.

Kits are generally more complete.

I am reluctant to put power adders that raise the cylinder pressures so much without upgrading the short block or the head attachment methods like gaskets and bolts. My experience is that when you don't do it right you end up causing other things to break causing the frustration and cost to go up.

So why is this guy selling it?

My next door neighbor has been building engines for 20 years and used to specialize in the Ford mod motor. I have talked to him a lot about that motor because I was considering getting another Mustang before I bought the Vette. The 2 valve mod motor has some really really bad flow numbers. If it were me and I were willing to put a couple of thousand dollars into an engine I would put a good set of heads on it first. You can achieve almost the same horsepower numbers you are looking at without causing other problems later.
    http://www.steeda.com/products/ford_...nder_heads.php
    http://www.steeda.com/products/4_6_L...intake_kit.php (wow that is expensive)

http://www.jegs.com/p/Patriot+Perfor...20886/10002/-1
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Ford+Racing/756847/10002/-1

My neighbor said you can convert a 2V motor to a 4V motor. I can't seem to find anything on that. But a really good 2V head flows about 230 cfm per cylinder where a 4V flows about 320 cfm. If you can do that you will surpass what a supercharger at 6 psi will do.

This is all I have found on the conversion
    http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...questions.html

found this http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...sion-dohc.html

Boy searching for "conversions" on that site brought back a flood of memories on all the the stuff I did to my 85 mustang GT. People were asking questions about stuff I had done 20 years ago.

All just some thoughts and ideas.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

FYI I have used these guys so many times they used to know me by name. They used to have an internet site www.stangparts.com but it appears they have gone to Ebay sales online only. They have a showroom in Winder Ga. It is a junk yard that specializes in Mustangs. They also sell new Ford Motor Sports parts.
      http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mpsautosalvage/

They can probably sell you everything you need to convert your 2V engine to a 4V engine. They'll just take it off a wrecked Cobra.

Back in the mid 90s I bought a set of seats from MPS out of an 85 GT to replace the seats in mine. Of coarse the drivers seat was all I really needed but you can't by just that. So I ended up with a perfectly good passenger seat. One day I was walking between building at work and when I passed the dumpster I saw the base of a task chair sticking up out of it. I walked over to it and it was a chair that the back had broken off of it. I got to thinking all I needed was an adapter plate to adapt it to my Mustang chair. I went and got a 1/8" piece of aluminum and transferred the hole locations and drilled the holes with a drill press in the shop. I mounted the Mustang chair and it worked perfectly. I have been using this chair as my computer chair ever since and I'm sitting in it right now. It looks impressive and the kids and cats fight over using it all the time. Nothing like having a 6 way adjustable car seat to sit at your computer on. Many people have said I need to go into business doing this conversion.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
        My first thought is since it is used there will be surprises that you hadn't thought about like missing something extra you need that will end up running the cost up.

Kits are generally more complete.

I am reluctant to put power adders that raise the cylinder pressures so much without upgrading the short block or the head attachment methods like gaskets and bolts. My experience is that when you don't do it right you end up causing other things to break causing the frustration and cost to go up.

Words of wisdom. I would never add a power adder to anything other than a freshly done purpose built motor. Why? because we enthusiasts tend to use that power and the motor needs to be built to withstand the increased stress.

That all goes well before whether the used parts even work properly.

Comment

My bro' in law had a Procharger (I believe P-1SC) on his 96 Mustang for nearly 10 years. The Mustang motor responds very well to supercharging, mainly because of the low 9:1 compression ratio. It's much easier to do than on an F-body, which has 10.4:1 compression.

That being said, I would not supercharge any motor unless I first did a compression test to check the cylinders. Then, I would do a leak down test to verify the heads are in good shape. If everything passes, supercharging can be done relatively safely on a Mustang.

You're going to not want to skimp on the intercooler, as this is the big difference between adding safe power and running on the edge. The bigger the better here.

My bro' had his computer reprogrammed to take advantage of the change as well. He did not make the kind of power you're thinking though. His RWHP increased to about 330, up from about 210. I'm not that familiar with Ford motors, but I believe the motor you have is only 260 hp. That would translate into about 230 hp to the wheels (optimistic). You're never going to add 170 WHP without running the risk of blowing the motor. It can be done, but like others have said, you'll need a lot of boost and can run into problems with the stock bottom end.

If you want, contact my bro' here: http://www.superstallions.com/

He's one the founders/administrators, and goes by the handle MDecillis. His wife (my lil' sister) is also on there. She has (supercharged) 03 Cobra.

From what I know about screws, they wear faster than centrifugal units. As they wear, the boost drops. If the unit has more than 50K on it, avoid it unless it's rebuilt. I'm more familiar with the ATI/Vortech units.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

In my honest opinion, I feel that this thing will become much more expensive to do because the supporting mods that you will need to make the engine safe will just be too much.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Im going to call the owner tomorrow abd get pics and post them,Im not really worried about my hurting my engine,No joke there's at least 20 guys that i know that have mustangs that are supercharged with well over 100k miles,I guess these engines love boost,Im going to talk to my shop tomorrow,see what they say
              I got a sound clip of the supercharger that im wanting to buy

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...ine_147888.htm
              2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Words of wisdom. I would never add a power adder to anything other than a freshly done purpose built motor. Why? because we enthusiasts tend to use that power and the motor needs to be built to withstand the increased stress.

That all goes well before whether the used parts even work properly.

Best advice right there.
                Bent rods, damaged mains, god knows everything else that can go wrong will if you put too much into it.
                -Alex
                1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                ZO6 wheels (clones)
                LED exterior and interior lighting
                With questionable guts:
                Forged bottom end
                free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                pacesetter longtubes
                T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                96? ws6 hood
                96? ws6 spoiler
                full emissions delete
                polished heads with oversize valve job
                Edelbrock IAS shocks
                Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                Daily Driver and love it that way
                Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by FTA1995
                  Best advice right there.
                  Bent rods, damaged mains, god knows everything else that can go wrong will if you put too much into it.
                  thats what i was worried about to,but go to anymustang forum,I swear everone has there car boosted with no problems,pushing 400RWHP with the 2v 4.6 engine

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
                    Im going to call the owner tomorrow abd get pics and post them,Im not really worried about my hurting my engine,No joke there's at least 20 guys that i know that have mustangs that are supercharged with well over 100k miles,I guess these engines love boost,Im going to talk to my shop tomorrow,see what they say
                    I got a sound clip of the supercharger that im wanting to buy

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...ine_147888.htm
                    The 4.6 2V engine responds well because the heads flow so badly they just won't suck air in when the piston goes down. The 3V heads flows a lot better. The 4V head flows as good as a LS1 head if not better.

I know a guy with an 03 Cobra and even his would put out blue smoke when he got on it. Come to find out it was caused by "blow by" and the oil going back through the PCV into the intake and into the cylinder. He got a filter for the PCV that seemed to cure it. I wonder how often he has to change or clean it. Well I guess it is had because he totaled it. I think it went to MPS too.

Let me also say that Ford was so concerned about putting a blower on the aluminum block 4.6 that all of the supercharged Cobras and trucks (5.4) got the iron block.

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
                      thats what i was worried about to,but go to anymustang forum,I swear everone has there car boosted with no problems,pushing 400RWHP with the 2v 4.6 engine
                      That guy I know that had an 03 Cobra had a dyno (dyno jet) slip with 411 hp on it. But that engine was made for a supercharger. It wasn't a converted GT.

Comment

I recently hung out with a Stang guys. One of the guys I know through the chick im dating, he has a 4.6l Stang with a Paxton S/C. He got his entire bottom end rebuilt and forged. He had it done and didnt know details but he is pushing 20+psi. He is looking at mid 600whp. Its impressive but its weak compared to the 03 cobras. Those are insane cars. 90% of those cars that were there where Twin Screw KB blowers, Stock everything pushing 550+hp with low to mid 10psi.

You would recommend you built at least the top end on your car. Heads/Cam/Rockers/Valves then start from there at the very least.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The guy I know that HAD an 03 Cobrahad done a few mods to it. Like I said the HP was 411 at the rear wheels. The car is flat dangerous in the rain. The blower makes it produce a lot of low end torque and without traction control it can get away from the best driver. You really have to stay on top of it all the time. He was driving on I285 in a light rain, just barely (per him) pressed the gas and the rear tires let go. With the posi traction it kicked out to the right, then left then right then wall. BTW he had 275-40-17 Firestone wide ovals and they were almost new.

Comment

Same problems with TA TA in the rain.
                            New KDW's, 275 in the rear, if its wet, by-by back end. Too much torque.

when i worked at chevy, we had this cobra that came in on a trade, had about 60K on it, TOTAL piece of crap. Almost every single valve seal was leaking, the rings were worn to piss, and the thing had a nasty rod knock.
                            we though it was all because of the 10 psi blower the guy just threw on a stock motor.

Induction should come last, spend the money strengthening the motor and chassis/suspension/brakes first.
                            -Alex
                            1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                            ZO6 wheels (clones)
                            LED exterior and interior lighting
                            With questionable guts:
                            Forged bottom end
                            free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                            pacesetter longtubes
                            T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                            Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                            K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                            96? ws6 hood
                            96? ws6 spoiler
                            full emissions delete
                            polished heads with oversize valve job
                            Edelbrock IAS shocks
                            Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                            Daily Driver and love it that way
                            Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Well thanks guys,Im pretty sure im going to pass on the blower,I think i need to work on my suspension first anyways,I can barely get traction wright now with my 390 gears,so with a blower it may prove impossible,And it seems like its going to cost to much money,I just found out im going to be a father

Comment

Working...
                              X