Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad to see sparks jumping out of wires at night?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad to see sparks jumping out of wires at night?

My 97 TA, in the dark I can see sparks jumping from the body of my coil, to that thick metal frame that goes around it. Plus, along the routes of some of my 8mm wires, I see sparks jumping out the sides of them.

I would assume any spark I see is not making it to a spark plug, and thus causing a misfire. Which isn't good right?

I should see no sparks correct?

I just bought a over the valve cover wire loom and wire set I plan on putting on, hoping this will help the problem, I guess maybe I have the wires routed too tight?

What would cause the coil to shoot sparks out the side?

Thanks for your help guys!

...Tim

Coil? Where is your coil?

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Above the Opti

Its above the Optispark, about 2 o'clock above it. The wire goes from the coil pack to the Opti and is distributed from there.

Comment

Im guessing he is talking about the Coil in front of the engine on the side of the water pump. yeah if its arcing then you have issues. Might need a new coil.

Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Arcing is bad. You'll eventually burn though enough to cause huge misfires.

Comment

Bad...yes. But awfully pretty, huh?
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

So the arcing from the coil body is a bad coil probably? Is it possible its arcing through there because it couldn't find a spark plug to send the spark to, because of wire related issues?

Comment

Its probably a bad coil, wires. The only spark you want is in the cylinder head.
                -Alex
                1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                ZO6 wheels (clones)
                LED exterior and interior lighting
                With questionable guts:
                Forged bottom end
                free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                pacesetter longtubes
                T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                96? ws6 hood
                96? ws6 spoiler
                full emissions delete
                polished heads with oversize valve job
                Edelbrock IAS shocks
                Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                Daily Driver and love it that way
                Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

The spark is always going to take the easiest route to ground- if that isn't the plug, you have problems. Could be bad wires- could be plugs are gapped too big- but, yeah, you have a misfire-
                  2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                  "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I had this happen on my lt1 as well. It turned out to be a really bad coil. I replaced the plugs and wires while I was at it.
                    Greg W. in West Michigan
                    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                    <Motor out

Comment

Working...
                    X