trans cooler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans cooler

hey anyone out there run or are running a heat sink type trans cooler? what is your opinion of them? ie do they work well. thanks
    1994 formula trans am LT-1,ED WRIGHT tuned PCM, urathaned rear lca's,new factory rear springs,rear replacement shocks,functional ram air 4 inch cowl hood,hiflo cat,3 inch single into hooker hiflo muffler,2.5 out dual,air foil,underdrive pullys,edelbrock torque arm,drag bags,6T MSD,MSD coil,new built A4,2200conv.massive trans cooler

Originally posted by DRAGIN
    hey anyone out there run or are running a heat sink type trans cooler? what is your opinion of them? ie do they work well. thanks
    Question, Why do you feel you need a Trans cooler?

Either way you can run a radiator type that mounts in front of the Radiator. You simply bypass the radiator connections and plum it through.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

If you are talking about the deeper trans pan with ribs, remember that they sit another half inch or so lower, on a car that is already pretty low- I would go external before I went the deeper pan, if I felt the need-
      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

i just had 2 replace a radiator and am on my performance tranny builder to rebuild my 4L60E. i lost 3 and 4 for no specific reason. it is a known fact these trannys do not live in performance situations. i was told extra trans cooling would help the new trannys life. if you have ever pulled your radiator or tried 2 get to the front of it or the condenser the way it leans 2 mount a traditional i feel the only place i want 2 mount it is the 4" X 29" inch opening that all the air comes thru from the bottom of where the bumper skin mounts and the core support at the bottom of the condenser.maybe i'm just a woos' but if these radiative coolers really work i intend 2 get one.the tranny builder said just get a cooler of some kind.i already have an aluminum + 2 quart pan on the way 2 help in cooling by volume.
        1994 formula trans am LT-1,ED WRIGHT tuned PCM, urathaned rear lca's,new factory rear springs,rear replacement shocks,functional ram air 4 inch cowl hood,hiflo cat,3 inch single into hooker hiflo muffler,2.5 out dual,air foil,underdrive pullys,edelbrock torque arm,drag bags,6T MSD,MSD coil,new built A4,2200conv.massive trans cooler

Comment

How big of a stall are u planning on running? A beefed up trans does not cause a big diff. In operating temp, it's more the stall you run which will hurt ur trans! You can bypass the radiator lines and run them right through an external cooler like mentioned above! It will sit up right against the radiator and will help cool your trans.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

My car was originally an M6. When I bought my Griffin radiator, I had no reason to buy one with the tranny cooler built in. When I converted to the TH400 with a high stall converter, I needed a stand-alone cooler. The shop selected a Perma-Cool fan assisted fin-tube cooler. It's mounted in the drivers front fender, where many people have the filter for their CAI. Keeps the tranny nice and cool, under all conditions, including 800HP/800ft-lb pulls with a 5,000rpm flash stall on nitrous.

[EDIT]
            Added photos:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

injuneer...

thanks for the option of placement of a traditional type cooler. i feel better running them as i have always run them without the fan in the past and never had any problem. your photos are perfect to set me on the path.i appreciate your help and your time.

Comment

you can install one in the cat well on the pass side..
                depending on what you have for exhaust and subframe connectors..
                here is option that eliminates having to run the lines forward into
                an already crowded engine bay..
                this one is a TCI 6 pass..but the B & M will fit with a fan as well..

Comment

That's a pretty tidy looking set-up. how do you control the fan, a temp-switch?
                  2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                  "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                    That's a pretty tidy looking set-up. how do you control the fan, a temp-switch?
                    you can..but the simpler the better..
                    toggle switch..is one..
                    key on is memory proof..!..LOL

Comment

I put a trans. cooler a few years back like Fred's but put it in the opposite side and opened to black plastic block off cover so the air would come in.
                      It just under the right headlight.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Working...
                      X