Rear Axle Moving!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle Moving!

Well I have a slight issue with the rear on my car. I recently noticed a scrape/screeching noise from my driver side caliper. I took it apart today and noticed that the caliper was rubbing the rotor. I took the caliper off to see if there was any damage and then noticed the axle pulls out about 1/4" but then stops. My wheel can move back and forth in the wheel well! There's way to much play which is causing the rotor to move out and hit the caliper!

I searched the forum and came across this thread. The problem is identical to what I have:
    http://f-body.com/forum/showthread.p...ght=axle+moves

The guy noted at the end that it was the posi unit. Do you think this is what happened to my car? I need to know what I should do in this scenario. I don't have the money to buy an Eaton Posi unit. Which posi unit will work in my car used... 93-02 z28/ss? I can find a low mileage unit on ebay.

While I'm in their I'm going to swap the 3.73's for 4:10's. All of the bearing and seals were done about 35000 miles ago too, should I replace them?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

What are your thoughts on this rebuilt eaton unit?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-7-...Q5fAccessories
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Looks like a good one at a good price. You will have to set up your backlash adjustment. Make sure and put the C clips in with the smooth side facing out cause I have a feeling that the sharp side of the C clips cuts into the diff metal and makes play in the axle moving out. I have worked on a couple of them and that is just something I noticed.

Comment

Problem is fixed. I bought some new c-clips and then used a hardened shim to make up for any wear on the diff gear. The shim was put towards the center of the rear so it doesn't sit in the diff gear.
        A guy that builds race cars around the corner from me said it should be fine. So far the screeching is gone from the rotor being pushed out to far and their aren't any leaks with the new axle seals.

Comment

Working...
        X