TCC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCC

I don't know if you all remember the post I had about my TCC, idle, radiator fans and engine miss problems, but they are fixed. All it was was a little wire. One of the two wires going to the coolant temp sensor on the water pump was grounded out. The wires were running between the intake tube and thermostat housing and one of them was touching one of the bolts for the housing. I moved the wires, taped them up and now the T/A is running perfect again!
    1994 T/A A4 No mods........yet

great job. Many times a problem like this is a simple fix. Finding it is the defect is what takes the most time and effort.

Comment

Thank you! I finally had a chance to hook it up to a scanner and noticed the the coolant temp on the dash (250ish, right at the red) and the scanner (106-123) was different, while at idle. The scanner also showed the fan request for fan 1 and fan 2 was off, which made absolutly no sense at all, the engine coolant was HOT!! I knew that something was wrong with the coolant temp sensor, just had to figure out what. I have never been so happy to find out I had a wiring problem, lol!

BTW, does anybody else have a problem with these cars getting hot around town and at idle, but run real cool down the highway. I've flushed the system and bled it twice and it still does it. Is that a problem with the dash temp gauge not reading correct. I didn't have a chance to drive it with the scanner hooked up after I fixed the wiring to see the actual temperature of the coolant.
      1994 T/A A4 No mods........yet

Comment

I have a 92 camaro rs with the 305, and it does the same thing, heats up right away in traffic and runs super cool on the highway, its much worse during the summer. Same thing happened in my 85 firebird with a 2.8 before that.

First, if you have never flushed the radiator, its probably a good idea every year or two- full flush with detergents under pressure, not just a drain and fill-- it will knock a ton of crusty stuff out of the system. that might help.

You really don't have to do anything, as long as the fans turn on and cool it off enough to stay within range, you should be fine.

I think its a design problem with the f-body though-- partly the small (thin) radiator and more likely the fan not switching on fast enough, and not pulling enough air. GM is a bunch of cheapos.

If your really having trouble, you can try a bigger fan, afterrmarket fans blow more air, also you can swap out the radiator for an all aluminum piece. A bigger radiator will dissipate the heat more efficiently. I upgraded the water pump in my camaro to an edelbrock, which flows more fluid but it didn't really change much.

The easiest thing to do would be adjust the kick on temp of the fans you have- I'm not sure if you have OBDII computer on the 94, is there an adjustment. I also think one of the programming companies like Hypertech makes a fan switch that does just that, and is a quick fix.

Before you do any of that- make sure the system holds pressure- a leak is the #2 cause of overheating, right after driving a ford.

www.bananasaboutcars.com
        Red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. BFG g-force supersport tires. 77K miles.

http://bananasaboutcars.com/projectcars-camaro1.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bananasaboutcars
          I think its a design problem with the f-body though-- partly the small (thin) radiator and more likely the fan not switching on fast enough, and not pulling enough air. GM is a bunch of cheapos.

www.bananasaboutcars.com
          Wrong. The elevated temperatures are meant to reduce emissions and do the job quite well. For those that aren't comfortable with the elevated temperatures, you can turn on your A/C which instantly engages the secondary fan for immediate airflow over the condenser. A lower temperature thermostat combined with a new ECM program to turn the fans on at a cooler temperature is the most common change to take advantage of increased power..... but at a price of increased emissions and a slight decrease in fuel mileage.

I've noticed in a few of your posts already that you are offering tech help. I'm sure people are appreciative, but I would caution you about providing tech information based on you not even being sure of the differences with the 93 and later f-bodies. Please be careful on what you advise! At least you stated that you weren't sure about things and that's a wise disclaimer. Some of the info you provided is good, just please be real careful.

Comment

I agree with you on the emissions improved by temperature, that is why GM used a 195 degree thermostat instead of a 165. But if in traffic the water temp is reaching 250-then there might be another problem. The fans are designed to kick on around 215-220 or so on third gens and im guessing they arent much different for 4th gens. If it keeps going past 220- all the way into the red that is not by design. thats a problem with the cooling system.

If GM wanted to run F-bodys at 220, they would have put a 220degree thermostat in it and kicked the fan on at 225. The cars are meant (i think) to run at 195-200. It doesnt make sense to me why they would want a car to run at such a wide range of temperatures, or differently in traffic or highway. For another example my Jeep cherokee runs at 210 rain or shine, traffic or highway.

In summation I believe that the 195 degree thermostat is meant for good emissions, the wide variance in temperatures 195-220 is a weak design, and anything reaching over 220 is a problem with the system (leak, bad fan etc).

I appreciate the feedback, the point of these things is to give good accurate advice, and if Im not doing that definately tell me. I have plenty to learn myself.

My experience comes from 9 years in a red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. Oh and a spankin new set of BFG g-force supersport tires.

Prior to that 7 years in an (fixed everything) 85 firebird with the little 2.8 in white and creeping rust two tone. (RIP) I have never had a 4th gen, just know what I have read about em. I also have a 99 Jeep cherokee and too often work on my dads two 1990 volvo 760s-but that's a whole other messageboard lol.

Pete

Red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. BFG g-force supersport tires. 77K miles.

Comment

Stock LT1 fans kick on at 226 (low speed) and 235 (high speed). I have an emissions h/c setup (as aggressive as you'd wanna go for passing smog) with fans set to 187/187. I had a smog with 187 set and it would not pass. I put it back to stock and cut my HC in half.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
              X