Radiator question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator question

A 94 camaro radiator should fit in my 83 trans am right.
    1983 Trans Am Recaro Edition. Work in progress, currently putting an LT1 out of a 94 Camaro/Firebird. 700R4 trans fully rebuilt and upgraded.

Maybe. Some features may be different or the radiator might be an entirely different size.
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
    1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

The LT1's have some odd supply and return hose connections, because of the "reverse flow" cooling system. Couple that with the fact that the front end structure of the 4th Gen is totally changed from the front end structure of the 3rd Gens - total suspension and unibody redesign - and I'd say you need to make some measurements before jumping to that conclusion.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

It's pretty close. The LT1 radiator is about 2" narrower than the 3rd gen radiator. It's also about 1/4" thicker. Height is the same. Inlet hose size is the same, it's a couple inches lower than the third gen. Outlet hose size on the lt1 radiator is smaller (by 1/4") and is a little higher. I notice in your sig that you're swapping in an lt1, so the size and locations of the radiator hoses should match up with what you're trying to do. Good luck with you project, and keep us updated!
        Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorsecustoms
          It's pretty close. The LT1 radiator is about 2" narrower than the 3rd gen radiator. It's also about 1/4" thicker. Height is the same. Inlet hose size is the same, it's a couple inches lower than the third gen. Outlet hose size on the lt1 radiator is smaller (by 1/4") and is a little higher. I notice in your sig that you're swapping in an lt1, so the size and locations of the radiator hoses should match up with what you're trying to do. Good luck with you project, and keep us updated!
          I don't own a fbody, but was going to say that they would likely be quite different. Judging by the above, I think with some parts swapping/fabricating you'll be able to complete the swap without any major issues.

Comment

Working...
          X