problem on the oil fill spout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem on the oil fill spout

my pass side valve cover has the oil fill location. mine consists of the very coarsely threaded hole in the valve cover itself, an approximatly 4 inch long fill tube that has coarse threads on one end and the place for the cap too tighten into on the other, and the cap. the cap seats in it's end fine but the other end that appears 2 be 2 threaded into the valve cover ain't right. you can try 2 screw it into the valve cover but there is 2 much clearence between the threads. they touch, but will NEVER get tight . did the last owner get some parts mixed up or is
    1) the valve cover wrong i.e hole 2 big
    2) filler tube 2 small, for some other application
    i do not like using glues or latex or silicone where it can drop into the engine and possiblely get into the oil system.
    please educate me here!
    thanks
    1994 formula trans am LT-1,ED WRIGHT tuned PCM, urathaned rear lca's,new factory rear springs,rear replacement shocks,functional ram air 4 inch cowl hood,hiflo cat,3 inch single into hooker hiflo muffler,2.5 out dual,air foil,underdrive pullys,edelbrock torque arm,drag bags,6T MSD,MSD coil,new built A4,2200conv.massive trans cooler

Sounds like someone overtorqued it and stripped the plastic threads or bent the valve cover threads. You could try to find a replacement in a junk yard, or see if they still offer it over the dealer or auto parts store counter. Some carefully applied black RTV will also work.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks

it has a flange around the tube where it should get tight at the valve cover should i epoxy it 2 the valve cover or is that overkill? i'm gun shy on silicone but if you think it is better i will clean it real good and use the black adhesive silicone? and another thing the actual cap doesn't appear 2 have a vent built in it of any kind is the correct cap that way(no vent)?
      thanks for helping me out !
      1994 formula trans am LT-1,ED WRIGHT tuned PCM, urathaned rear lca's,new factory rear springs,rear replacement shocks,functional ram air 4 inch cowl hood,hiflo cat,3 inch single into hooker hiflo muffler,2.5 out dual,air foil,underdrive pullys,edelbrock torque arm,drag bags,6T MSD,MSD coil,new built A4,2200conv.massive trans cooler

Comment

The correct cap is unvented. Its a closed system, with a PCV valve on the driver's side of the intake manifold, and the line from the side of the throttle body to the passenger side valve cover that supplies filtered, MAF measured air that the PCV vacuum pulls through the crankcase.

I wouldn't use epoxy.... just some black RTV applied between the flange and the valve cover. And after that, hold the pipe when you tighten and remove the cap, to prevent it from turning.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thank you

thanks for the education on this

Comment

you could try just screwing in the oil cap directly into the valve cover, that would at least tell you if the tube or valve cover threads are messed up.
            95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Yes that works...

i deleted the extension and the cap does screw in the valve cover as it should thanks everyone for all the help

Comment

Working...
              X