Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing fuel pump

Hey guys,

I'm about to head back home from school and it is time to replace my fuel pump. My fuel system leaks pressure immediately after turning the key off, and I have already replaced my FPR (which was also leaking). It seems like the system leaks too quickly to be a leaky injector. I'm going to be doing the trap door method, but am extremely concern about cutting right near the gas tank/fuel lines. How close are the fuel lines to the floor, and how dangerous is cutting in this area?

Also, is this the correct pump to order? I've looked through the board and it seems like this is the best choice. Any suggestions please let me know!

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...PA-003&eq=&Tp=

Thank you!
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showpost...66&postcount=7

very safe when using an air hammer and cutting tool.

Comment

Thanks for the response Joe, but unfortunately, I don't have access to those tools (and don't really have the money for them either...). I have a dremel that I was planning on buying a bunch of cutting blades for. Any suggestions on how not to turn that into a dangerous situation?
      Mods:
      "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
      Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Crane 1.5rrs
      Comp high tech pushrods
      SLP Loudmouth II
      SLP Cold air intake
      UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

Go slow and keep the sparks to a minimum... The more fuel in the tank means less fumes to explode but also means more to feed the fire...
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
          Go slow and keep the sparks to a minimum... The more fuel in the tank means less fumes to explode but also means more to feed the fire...

The fewer the fumes the better. They are what ignites. I dont think how much fuel you have in the tank is going to matter in the end if it catches fire. Eitherway... Your car is toast.
          No F-Body right now

Comment

If you cut correctly, the fuel lines are only under 1 side of the rectangle. Consider getting the cut started with a wheel, then using tin snips.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/348183/9
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Okay, i'll definitely get a pair of tin snips so I don't have to grind the whole way. Thanks for the help everyone! Is the fuel pump I posted correct?
              Mods:
              "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
              Pro 5.0 Shifter
              Crane 1.5rrs
              Comp high tech pushrods
              SLP Loudmouth II
              SLP Cold air intake
              UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

I did the trapped door method on my car a couple months ago. I made a starter hole with a drill using a depth collar on the bit so if I slipped, I would not dive down into the tank, and I used the tin snips and this took all of 15 min taking my time. I used the Wiss brand snips, worked very well!
                95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

I did mine with the Dremal all the way. There was little or no sparks and it took about 10 min.s And I am still posting. I do not see why you should have any fumes at all.
                  Blazer

Comment

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm about to order the fuel pump, but just wanted to make sure this is the correct one:

Thank you!
                    Mods:
                    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                    Pro 5.0 Shifter
                    Crane 1.5rrs
                    Comp high tech pushrods
                    SLP Loudmouth II
                    SLP Cold air intake
                    UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's the one I used.
                      Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

Originally posted by SeanC
                        Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm about to order the fuel pump, but just wanted to make sure this is the correct one:

Thank you!
                        You can get the walbro pump that you need brand new for 99 shipped. No need to spend 150 on a fuel pump.
                        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

That is a walbro pump....where are they selling them for $99?
                          Mods:
                          "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                          Pro 5.0 Shifter
                          Crane 1.5rrs
                          Comp high tech pushrods
                          SLP Loudmouth II
                          SLP Cold air intake
                          UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

Originally posted by SeanC
                            That is a walbro pump....where are they selling them for $99?
                            This is the last pump I had, and it's the same pump that's in the racetronix kit for more money...
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALBR...Q5fAccessories

That pump lasted me a few years. It's a higher pressure pump than the 307 (which is what I'm running now). This is the recommended pump for turbo/sc cars.

I'm running the 307, but since they're both the same price, you may as well get the 340.
                            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

The trap door is an awesome idea, I just spent a fortune getting my fuel pump and sending unit replaced because there was no way I was going to be able to drop the tank working out on the street. They ended up taking off the exhaust (which was rusted out and crumbled) and then dropping the tank. All in it cost me a fortune and about 2 weeks of . Coulda just used a dremel and about 900 little cutting discs...
                              Red 92 camaro rs with a 305 TBI 4spd auto 2.73:1 rear with Spohn sway bars, hotchkis LCAs and panhard bar, Spohn wonderbar, and edelbrock strut tower brace, msd 6A box, coil and wires. BFG g-force supersport tires. 77K miles.

http://bananasaboutcars.com/projectcars-camaro1.html

Comment

Working...
                              X