Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUCCESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff,

Yes, that's true. Which makes me wonder why when you see these do-it-yourself videos on youtube, you see these folks tipping the can sideways every couple of seconds. At least when the can is full or near full, you are going to get liquid into the fitting at the top of the can.

After having some idea of what numbers I was supposed to be reading (thanks to you), I went ahead and put it in a second can. To prevent it from freezing up, and make the gas come out with more pressure I dampened a dishtowel, then put it in the microwave oven for about 1 minute on high.

I could barely touch the thing but I wrapped it around the can of freon, and this second can seemed to go much faster.

And now the most wonderful part of it:

Cold Air !!!!!

A truly beautiful thing!

I sat inside my firebird until it was so cold I couldn't stand it anymore.

OBD1 pressure reading still indicates only about 150 psi though, so I guess another can wouldn't be out of the question.

Keep in mind, this thing has never been recharged in 15 years......LOL!

Like I said in the beginning, up here in New England it's not that critical, especially with the T-tops, but for those handful of days when it's hot with oppressive humidity, an A/c system is worth its weight in gold.

As usual.....thanks to everyone for your advice!
    '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

Comment

Cool beans! (pun intended)
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

All of the info supplied looks really good except for the High side, with the fans running on a 70 degree day typically should be between 150 and 200 psi. 400+ psi is WAY too high.
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

Well, according to the read I get off of OBD1, it was around 150. So I guess I could put a little more in, or just leave it alone. It's working pretty well right now. Although we still haven't had anything resembling summer weather up here yet. Tonight will be in the 40's and only in the 60's tommorrow!

Anyways, thanks for that! I'm not about to question an opinion on a/c that comes from someone with the id. of "Frossty"......

Comment

Originally posted by formula_gramps
            Well, I re-attached the jumper (jumpering the relay contacts) and attached a can of 134a. Everything headed up (both low and high).
            Where do you jumper the relay contacts? Im trying to diagnose my system too.
            96 Firebird Formula
            94 Pontaic Firebird

Comment

Hi Dan,

Saw your message yesterday, and I have been for it to stop raining long enough that I could get a couple of pictures.

Since it's only drizzling now, I can get a couple of quick ones.

This picture is looking down at the fuse/relay block, with the cover off, from the passenger side. The arrow points to the relay to remove.

With the relay removed, and the engine running, (I told you it was raining...LOL), make up a jumper from a piece of wire (like maybe #10), and jumper the two relay pin sockets as shown in red:

Assuming the clutch coil is still good, the compressor should engage.

The advantage to doing it this way is that the rest of the circuit is still fuse protected. I wouldn't leave it like this for long though, in the event that your low pressure sensor has directed the PCM to keep the compressor off. I just used this long enough to get some R134 in until there was sufficient pressure for the system to run on its own.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks Gramps,
                You've made life much easier for me with those nice digital photos. Greatly appreciated.
                Dan
                96 Firebird Formula
                94 Pontaic Firebird

Comment

a/c and vac lines

When I lost a/c on my 95 a few years ago it was this little plastic valve thing I found under the hood.
                  Attached Files
                  95 Formula LT1 6 Spd

Comment

when the valve broke did it blow hot air hot the A/C vent or heater defrost vent? Mine is blowing hot out of the dash A/C vent.
                    96 Firebird Formula
                    94 Pontaic Firebird

Comment

Working...
                    X