Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPS effect on closed loop operation

Hey again guys,
    I brought up a misfire issue I was having before in closed loop; after rewriting the PCM again to remain in open loop (for garage testing and tuning). I have been slowly getting rid of problems from the last owner of the car with a reasonable success
    I noticed on a log my tps had a good deal of flat spots throughout the sensor range. I replaced it today since to get rid of the flat spots, and my misfire problem completely disappeared.
    My question is, what effect does the tps have on closed loop operation?
    I know that it controls your off idle closed throttle timing, but how is that factored in with the MAP vacuum values?

Thanks again guys
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

In theory TPS is used in the injector PW calculation, but I have no experience if it would cause noticeably bad missing or not. According to "How To Tune & Modify Engine Management Systems" - Jeff Hartman the TPS is used to " factor in transient enrichment offsets from throttle position changes". More to the point.. How bad were your flat spots ? If TPS voltage dropped significantly the PCM/ECM could drop into an incorrect idle or deceleration BLM cell (16,17,18), or with correct RPM/MAP conditions it could possibly go into DFCO and kill the injectors.
    I'm Bob... 1994 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 160 T-stat, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6 RR, Pacesetter LT's, Corsa CatBack, Transmission Perform Switch, 3.42 rear, TunerCat $EE, FreeScan & TTS DataMaster-EE.

Comment

They were pretty nasty, any where between 15 and about 50 % throttle was nearly the same in voltage, always read around .75-.85 volts. After 50% it took off to where it was supposed to be. I have been having soo much trouble geting this thing to have solid balanced blms between off-idle and about 2800 rpm (idle is balanced, smooths out really quick above 2800)
      -Alex
      ZO6 wheels (clones)
      With questionable guts:
      Forged bottom end
      pacesetter longtubes
      K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
      96? ws6 hood
      96? ws6 spoiler
      full emissions delete
      polished heads with oversize valve job
      Edelbrock IAS shocks
      Full tubular Chassis minus k member
      Daily Driver and love it that way
      Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

In simple terms, you gotta figure if the TPS is incorrectly indicating the actual throttle position, engine running parameters are going to be all screwed up.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Got a new tps, it did show me some different resistance/degrees in comparison to the old sensor, along with the lack of flat spots of course . engine is running much happier now. It did seem like there was a great deal of effect from tps input. Now I'm having issues with my idle returning back to the stopped value, e.g. it is sitting at 1200 rpm sometimes coming to a stop. My first suspect is the IAC valve, especially since the steps are going down along with that 5 degrees of spark retard for idle overspeed correction. I think that is more likely than an intermittent vacuum leak or something silly like that.
          -Alex
          ZO6 wheels (clones)
          With questionable guts:
          Forged bottom end
          pacesetter longtubes
          K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
          96? ws6 hood