Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you leave your fog lights on...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's exactly right.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Sorry but a light is a light. It's impossible for it to face completely down. Think about it, they are in pockets in the nose correct? They in no way could face far down enough to not add some light interfence to the eye, and yet clear the pocket to shine onto the ground. Oh well I'll still high beam people with foglights on when it's not neccessary, and hopefully they'll figure out they aren't needed. (And for the record, I don't high beam anyone with foglights on if their are other cars around them.)

Comment

I keep my fog lights on whenever my lights are on to supplement the crappy headlights. They are stock, don't shine in people's eyes, and are dimmer than the headlights. This is also perfectly safe and legal. I could maybe understand highbeaming someone with "driving" lights that are mis aimed and shining into people's eyes but who are you to decide if a little extra lighting is necessary. If someone flashed their brights in my eyes(dangerous)for such a reason I'd be pretty annoyed and hope a cop saw it. It is Illegal, at least here in FL, to flash your highbeams at anyone even if they fail to dim theirs. Blinding drivers with your highbeams, especially ones driving toward you, is not a good idea. Believe it or not this practice has sparked alot of road rage. There was a guy who was shot and killed with a crossbow becuase someone thought he should not be flashing lights at other drivers. True story it was on 48 hours. The shooter is now in prison for murder. I just don't think it's worth it. If they're truly in people's eyes a cop will get them eventually....Just my 2 cents.....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

I just don't see how stock lights are crappy? I've never driven in a 4th gen camaro so maybe they are? But I see half of the drivers out there with foglights on, on a clear night. They're Foglights. Not "Use em because you feel they are needed all time lights." Personally, I consider them one of the top10 worst inventions. And if anyone is getting mad at anyone over bright lights it's me. Inspections should cover this. Your headlights, even when combined with foglights, should only put out so much brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nice Guy
            ...Blinding drivers with your highbeams, especially ones driving toward you, is not a good idea...
            this is so true and I really need to keep this in mind, but unfortunately I am not that mature when someone approaching me refuses to hit the low beams. I flash once and they can either lower them, or show me that their misaligned beams already are lowered, or if they do nothing I put my high beams on and keep them on until they lower theirs. I'm a "do unto others as they have done unto you" kinda guy.
            Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Originally posted by gauSSian
              this is so true and I really need to keep this in mind, but unfortunately I am not that mature when someone approaching me refuses to hit the low beams. I flash once and they can either lower them, or show me that their misaligned beams already are lowered, or if they do nothing I put my high beams on and keep them on until they lower theirs. I'm a "do unto others as they have done unto you" kinda guy.
              I second that as far as high beams go. As far as fog lights, my additude is seeing and being seen!

One time I had a car come towards me with the high beams on. I flicked mine a couple of times until he turned his off. Then I couldn't see the car anymore because his running lights wouldn't work at all. Only the high beams would work!! Talk about a braniac.
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by 89GTA
                I just don't see how stock lights are crappy? I've never driven in a 4th gen camaro so maybe they are? But I see half of the drivers out there with foglights on, on a clear night. They're Foglights. Not "Use em because you feel they are needed all time lights." Personally, I consider them one of the top10 worst inventions. And if anyone is getting mad at anyone over bright lights it's me. Inspections should cover this. Your headlights, even when combined with foglights, should only put out so much brightness.
                According to sylvania... if you take and buy there silver star light bulbs you can get about 4000K of White light brilliance out of them... That said if you combine them with PIAA plasma xenon bulbs that will fit the foglamps then the illuminance increases to around 6000K of White light brilliance... Now that said these are using the same gas as HID bulbs and all... That said a stock camaro's headlights and fog lights to gether only put out about 3000K brilliance... My car has like a cool blue headlight bulbs that have lost their tint... and they still burn at a whiter shade than any other camaro's headlights that still have the stock bulbs...
                Thanks
                MaraSport

Comment

Hrm I see I see. It appears that the camaro is at a possible disadvantage. But that depends on whether how many cars put out 3000k brilliance. You can't use Sylvania's lights as a baseline. Honestly, there aren't enough camaro's around these parts for me to be able to compare. My only complaint was theres just no use to use Foglights and Headlights on at the same time... most of the time. Just respect your fellow drivers was all I was getting at. Most foglight/headlight combinations I see do not make other cars see you better, they make that car not to be able to see you at all! It's just blinding. People have been in car crashes due to being blinded by another car and crossing lanes.

I'm trying to see where you are coming from, I hope you can maybe see my POV?

Comment

This was lifted from a site and shows the difference between the types of lights. As you can see the Fog lights aren't really what's in your eyes, as their beams are generally too low and diffused, it's the Auxiliary Driving lights that blind other people and should be turned off when oncoming traffic aproaches just like highbeams. Fogs that basically just light up the ground should be OK IMHO.

Driving Lights vs. Fog Lights

The difference between fog lights, projector lights, and auxiliary driving lights are their beam patterns. Below are three beam patterns showing the difference types of lights when properly installed. A: represents the wide and low beam pattern of a standard fog light. Standard fog lights will help widen your field of vision at night, especially on single lane highways and country roads. B: represents the wide and low pattern of a projector fog light. Projector fog lights are usually slightly more expensive than standard fog lights but provide a brighter, longer beam. C: represents the narrow and long pattern cast by an auxiliary driving light. Auxiliary driving lights are helpful for driving in poor lighting conditions where your forward vision is an issue.
                    Attached Files

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Originally posted by 89GTA
                      Hrm I see I see. It appears that the camaro is at a possible disadvantage. But that depends on whether how many cars put out 3000k brilliance. You can't use Sylvania's lights as a baseline. Honestly, there aren't enough camaro's around these parts for me to be able to compare. My only complaint was theres just no use to use Foglights and Headlights on at the same time... most of the time. Just respect your fellow drivers was all I was getting at. Most foglight/headlight combinations I see do not make other cars see you better, they make that car not to be able to see you at all! It's just blinding. People have been in car crashes due to being blinded by another car and crossing lanes.

I'm trying to see where you are coming from, I hope you can maybe see my POV?
                      Regular sealed beam headlights like be on Firebirds and Vettes only put out about 2800K, but can be modified to put out 4000K...

Most every car on the road that doesn't have projector headlamps put out about 3000K...

But I want the Brilliance of HIDs without replacing my headlamps... You know the new look, the rich look, and besides they look cool... But I am scared that they will be too bright with the foglights combined...

But I found a Camaro owner that has one about like mine just his is a V8 99 model and he has got Xenon Plasma bulbs from Eurolite for the low and high beams and Regular stock Halogens for the fog lights and pass the annual state inspection...

Thanks yal... I have to admit I have learned a lot about lights so if any one needs help on anything dealing with purchasing head lights... Just PM me...
                      Thanks
                      MaraSport

Comment

Working...
                      X