Overheated - Interesting Part failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheated - Interesting Part failure

Engine began overheating. Removed last years new waterpump, and found the pump coupling splines had rusted out on the pump side, therefore not spinning the impeller. GM replacement was $42, very proud of that now adays. Replaced the waterpump with another lifetime warranty unity from NAPA.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

A one-year-old water pump rusted that badly, that quickly? Why is there so much water on it? Maybe you need to dig a little deeper into where the water is coming from...
    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

The coupling rusted the splines out, it was the factory original, 16.5 years and 316k miles.
      The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

300 k mi? Guess you can't blame GM too much for that, then.
        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by pete
          The coupling rusted the splines out, it was the factory original, 16.5 years and 316k miles.
          How many times did you change the water pump, over the 316,000 mile life oof the engine? I'm having a bit of a disagreement with someone on another forum, who claims the LT1's are known for having water pumps that fail "early and often". I just haven't seen it reported as a problem any more frequently that any other engine.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'll chime in...
            1st WP was replaced under factory warranty and I have replaced it 2 more times since then.

1997 with 117K
            My DD
            2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I just replaced mine...first one in the life of the car...15 years and 153k miles. The pump never actually failed. One of the connecting aluminum tubes came out of the pump when I tried to remove the hose.
              '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Once in 140K. Now that I've doomed myself to a WP failure by saying that I better keep an eye on it.
                Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

I bought a new one at about 65,000 miles in 1999, not because the old one was bad, but because I wanted a new one for the stroker build. The new one has been in service for 10 years, but the car only has about 85,000 miles on it at this point.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I replaced mine at about 110K miles because the bearing was starting to make a screeching noise.

Comment

Original made it to 150k, next to 215K, next to 305K, latest to 315k but doesn't count.

The last two had 3/16" weep holes, so I didn't need to drill them out for the plastic elbow for the hose to keep coolant off the opti.

Comment

Working...
                      X