Turn signal issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn signal issue

My left turn signal has gone from working on occasion to not working at all. All of the bulbs work. All wiring appears to be in good shape. The brake lights and hazards work. When the hazards are on, it is dimmer on the left side. Specifically the left of the two bulbs that flash on that side. My Haynes manual says if it only effects one side then it is a faulty bulb and not a bad flasher.
    Since I've owned the car (7yrs) the left turn signal has required more force than normal to use. It does still go into position, just won't flash or click on that side.
    The manual does not offer a check for a bad Turn signal switch. Could I need a new turn signal switch? That is my suspicion, but I am hoping not to have to replace that.
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Could be a bad ground, but I will put money on a bad bulb. How did you check your bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
      How did you check your bulbs.
      Turned on the headlights and hazards.

All bulbs light normally except the left of the two center bulbs on the left tail light. It still lights up, just not normally.
      For example, with the hazards on, normal operation has the top element in the bulb stay lit while the lower element flashes. On that one bulb the top element flashes weakly and the lower element does nothing. I have swapped bulbs and they all do the same thing when installed there.
      For the left turn signal, I did get it to work today with that bulb and clip out of the tail light. There didn't seem to be any one position that I held it or moved it that made a difference. I could get it to work however by moving it if it was not working. Since it works sometimes, it seems to point to some kind of wiring problem, or maybe the clip the bulb attaches to.
      96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan96WS6
        ...the left turn signal has required more force than normal to use. It does still go into position, just won't flash or click on that side...
        Unfortunately, that does sound like a switch issue to me.
        Never done one on my Camaro but I did do one on my 79 Formula. It wasn't horrible, but requires some specialized tools which can be "loaned" form AutoZone.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I have had bad sockets on the bird, that would work off and on. The socket looked good but once I replaced it things were ok.

Comment

I am leaning towards the socket now. That will be the first thing I replace.

Comment

Be sure to check for corrosion on all the grounds- especially since we are talking about a 14-year-old vehicle here. Oxidation happens....
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Along with what willy is saying; It took me quite a long time to figure out why my turn signals were messed up when I bought my 95, ends up all of the grounds on the signals were messed up, somehow the tail lights worked until I hit the brakes.... etc.
                Grounding issues have very weird symptoms sometimes, triple check before you buy any new parts.
                -Alex
                1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                ZO6 wheels (clones)
                LED exterior and interior lighting
                With questionable guts:
                Forged bottom end
                free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                pacesetter longtubes
                T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                96? ws6 hood
                96? ws6 spoiler
                full emissions delete
                polished heads with oversize valve job
                Edelbrock IAS shocks
                Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                Daily Driver and love it that way
                Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

From the symptoms you're describing, I'd put my money on the bulb. I had the same symptom on the Z not too long ago, only it was the front main turn signal bulb. Easy fix, just make sure you get the right socket. Some may look right but won't fit properly. Also, when you hook it up, make sure you test the wiring before crimping or soldering everything together. Hope this helps.
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

After messing with it for a while the other day, it has been working fine. I think this is temporary and will take a closer look at the grounds and sockets. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                    X