Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

73 Trans Am Grill Question...What am I missing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 Trans Am Grill Question...What am I missing?

I'm putting a 73 grill on a 75 trans am as part of a project car I've been working on for a while. I've got all of the body parts painted and I'm reassembling the front end. I just mounted the bumper and I went to install the grill inserts. There's nothing to mount these things to. I had a 73 trans am in my younger days so I'm pretty familiar with that year but for the life of me, I can't recall what those brackets should look like. I've got an actual 73 that I bought as a roller that I'll start working on after this car is driveable and another doner parts car but there's no brackets on either car that I can find. I don't even see where the brackets would mount. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I figured it out...there are two brackets that mount to the back of the bumper brace. I found a couple on Ebay and after seeing them, I figured out I have a couple of them in my pile of stuff. I'm getting closer to finishing up the assembly of the body except that I seem to have to undo something I've done with every new piece I put on. The lower valance isn't fitting very well. It must have been smacked at some point although it doesn't look like it but it doesn't fit the contours of the lower fenders. It's sticking out beyond the fender profile about 3/16 of an inch on both sides. There's no adjustment at the bottom of the fenders so I'm going to have to figure out how to shrink the valance. Looks like I should have fit all of these pieces together before I painted everything.

Comment

Glad you figured the grill brackets out...fitment can be a challenge. Maybe the valance needs a bit more curve in it to bring sides in a bit, not really sure if it would help...hope to see some pics of your project.

Al
      Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. After looking at a number of valance pictures on the web, I figured the large depression in the middle of the valance shouldn't be there. It looked like it was intentional but it was someone's addition. I pounded it out and repainted it this morning. The valance is still not fitting perfectly but it's a little closer. I'm going to try and shim the lower part of the fender and see if that doesn't improve the fit a little. Tomorrow the paint should be cured enough to try installing the valance. Here are a couple pictures I took with my cell phone if you're interested....sorry about the quality. Don't suppose anyone would have the little bracket that the valance attaches to in the front right under the bumper? I made one today and it works but it may not locate the valance correctly. I've been working on this for a few years now and I'm within striking distance of getting it done. I've took a few vacation days to see if I can't get the body and interior assembled.
        Attached Files

Comment

looking good, please keep us updated on the progress. thanks for sharing

Al
          Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

how go's you build. I love the 70-73 look

Comment

got to be done by now?

Comment

Working...
              X