No announcement yet.

F-body or Dsm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please remember, this is an F-body board and will be very biased. The answers could have been predicted before the post was made.

Please keep it civil or take it to PM.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I have broken just about everything there is to break on my Bird (thats just part of the game), but I still wouldnt trade it for a rice rocket. You may say MODS are cheap for the car, but as an auto technician who has dealt in shop management, I KNOW Mitsubishi PARTS are ridiculously priced. On the average, usually double, sometimes triple.

We replaced a computer on a 3000 GT a few months back - 900 dollars for the computer! Thats JUST the computer. If it were a GM - 200 bucks.

Modding the car and fixing it are two different things. Maybe cranking up the boost is cheap or some of the bolt ons from the catalogs. But, if I throw rod on the bird, Im in for some money; if I throw a rod on a mitsubishi, its time to get a second mortgage!
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

You can get 4G63 engines for $700 in great condition!
        99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
          You can get 4G63 engines for $700 in great condition!
          heh.. from where? I'd love to know what engine supplier is selling that cheap. I want to pick up an sr20det..

Comment

Originally posted by dimn
            heh.. from where? I'd love to know what engine supplier is selling that cheap. I want to pick up an sr20det..

Private sellers - all over DSMtrader.com and other DSM message boards.. They're a dime a dozen!
            99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
              Maybe I missed the instant torque.. Or the loud rumble, or the fear it would strike in people's eyes as I drove by and the ground would shake.. I don't know...
              Dang Bro... Your car sounds more like Public Enemy #1

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro4-2
                heres a reason...
                Why put a WS6 hood on a Camaro?
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Ummm... Cause it looks better than the Camaro hood??? I like what he did. It ain't like when my girlfriend's dumb brother put some baloney-cut chrome drain pipes sticking up from the hood of his rambler wagon to look like velocity pipes - no, it looks allright in my opinion!

Besides, It's good to keep the ricers guessing...

"What? you import guys haven't heard SLP has bought up all the spare F-body parts and is manufacturing new F-bodys with 500 HP??? You've been reading too many Street Turbo magazines! Better get those new Nology wires installed for that extra 25 HP or you won't be able to do your lameass high speed passes after you lose the race..."

Comment

As always... to each his own. I hope I didn't come across too harsh, I was just wondering if he had any reason in particular for doing it. It isn't something you see done at all. That's all... Personally, it isn't for me, but like I said - to each his own.

But by the way, I don't think that is his car... look at his sig.
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

This is a very hard choice. Both options have a wonderful aftermarket and perform wonderfully stock. If you go for a 1st gen DSM, you can avoid the notorious crank walk that gave DSMs a bad name.

As for performance, the drag racing edge goes to the Camaro, obviously. And the handling of the Camaro is very likely better too. ALthough the DSM has the advantage of AWD, it adds a substantial amount of weight to a bizarrely distributed car.

That being said, the cheapest car to get into the 11s out of the 2 is the DSM. Of course, you could build an LT1 240SX, and get the styling of the DSM (kind of), with the power of the Camaro.

Comment

i dont understand

I still dont understand how you can really compare thease cars? there in a completly different catagory. I like eclispes but i dont think they can really be compared to a camaro. Maybe a v6. And to about who ever said that it would be cheaper to make a dsm run 12s are you goin by the cost of the car to? you can take a camaro and use a couple of bolt ons a run 12s .. but i guess it depends if you want a real car. or not? but thats just what i think..
                        1999 black camaro SS 6 speed

Comment

Working...
                        X