93' Induction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93' Induction?

I've noticed (am a newbie) no MAF setup on my induction, what is the difference between 93' and 94+ fbodys, and advantages or disadvantages of having or not having the MAF.
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

The basic difference is that the 93 is a speed/density system using the MAP sensor to guage engine load rather than the MAF. Simply put, speed density measures load by measuring vacuum (with the MAP), air intake temp, rpm, and throttle position to detemine injector pulse width and spark curve. MAF measure the amount of incoming air through the MAF meter to measure load.

I have never modded a speed density f-body, but from what I hear, they are not as compatible (with stock tuning) to major mods as their MAF brothers are. However, one benefit is that they do not have the inlet restriction of the MAF meter. So, with the right research, parts and tuning, they can be built to GO.

Im sure some of the other guys can add on to this.......
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

what he said
      1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

My 93 LT1 Vette was a speed density..... soon after doing even a few basic mods the car wasn't responding until a chip change. My ZR1 on the other hand turned into a monster even with the stock tuning.

Comment

..so with bolt on mods I wouldn't notice any diff. until the computer was reprogrammed?
          1993 TA SOLD

Comment

Its not that you wouldnt notice a difference, but when adding things like new heads or cam (dramatically changing the aiflow into the engine) the PCM might not recognize whats happening (because your not measuring airflow like in a MAF car) and the car may not be supplied with the right amount of fuel or advance etc.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

N20LT4Bird

great info bro

Stealth Performance
              www.stealthperf.com
              (503)531-3170
              (leave message)
              E-Mail:
              sales@stealthperf.com

Comment

I try to be helpful

Comment

I have acquired priceless knowledge, keep it coming guys ..What would be the best CAI set up for my bird?
                  1993 TA SOLD

Comment

K&N looks the best IMO Performs very nice also .....\\\\
                    Attached Files

Stealth Performance
                    www.stealthperf.com
                    (503)531-3170
                    (leave message)
                    E-Mail:
                    sales@stealthperf.com

Comment

Stealth Peformance , when are you guys going to have the torque arm bushings available by hutchkis?
                      1993 TA SOLD

Comment

soon they been on BO for jobbers for a while

Stealth Performance
                        www.stealthperf.com
                        (503)531-3170
                        (leave message)
                        E-Mail:
                        sales@stealthperf.com

Comment

Yeah I notticed that on my receipt..
                          1993 TA SOLD

Comment

For 93-97, the SLP cold air intake is superior quality. The induction tubes are metal, the fit and finish is very good. SLP has reduced the price on them as well.

Comment

So SLP CAI would provide better air flow that K & N ?
                              1993 TA SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X