Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help...2000 GTP or 2001 Firebird??

Hey guys,
    I am going to buy a new car next week. I am unsure of what I want to buy. I have always loved F-Bodys. However I have recently been driving a Grand Prix which I also love. Im not sure which way to go. The car will be my daily driver, either way I go the car will have less than 36K miles, I can get them for about the same price. My two options are:

2000 Grand Prix GTP with all of the options.

2001 Firebird V6 with all of the options including the performace package.

I am just dont know what I should do. I know the GTP is faster and has more options, but I dont know if speed is a big deal to me right now and the F-Body looks SOOOO bad ass!!

ANY HELP??
    No F-Body right now

01 firebird

V8 V8 V8 V8 V8

Comment

IMO if it has to be between those two cars i would go with the GTP. Its a 6 cyl. and it has a supercharger. the firebird v6 is just a waste of a body.

99 T/A WS-6
      SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
      2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
      88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

I would agree with going with the GTP. It has a supercharger, plus the firebirds are kinda ugly i think. i only like t/a's. but your buying the car, so i think you should get the gtp and make the windows black and put some dub duce spinners on that bad boy. then you got your speed and your looks. just my 2 cents. got with the gtp!!!!!!
        1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Ditto the GTP !!!!
          94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

I say definately get the GTP over the bird.
            97 SS #C007
            Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
            SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

GTP - why deal with the shortcomings of the F-body - there are many - if you don't have the V8 to make up for it?? Plus if you get the Firebird you will always be saying "I coulda had a V8!" LOL.
              Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

GTP!.......much greater fun factor than the 6 cylinder Bird IMO
                DWS
                Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

Originally posted by 99WS6TA
                  IMO if it has to be between those two cars i would go with the GTP. Its a 6 cyl. and it has a supercharger. the firebird v6 is just a waste of a body.
                  Sorry, but geez statements like that on here pi@# me off. A V6 F-bod is still an F-bod. It lacks the power of the LT/S-1's, but it is the same body, and same heritage. I get so sick V-8 owners trashing V-6 owners. I mean, geez...if I could have afforded a V-8, don't you think I would have bought one?? I don't have a V-8, but I do have a Camaro, and to me it is not anywhere near a waste of a body. I love it just as much as any of you guys love your cars. Show some respect for crap's sake.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
                    Sorry, but geez statements like that on here pi@# me off. A V6 F-bod is still an F-bod. It lacks the power of the LT/S-1's, but it is the same body, and same heritage. I get so sick V-8 owners trashing V-6 owners. I mean, geez...if I could have afforded a V-8, don't you think I would have bought one?? I don't have a V-8, but I do have a Camaro, and to me it is not anywhere near a waste of a body. I love it just as much as any of you guys love your cars. Show some respect for crap's sake.
                    Touche.

However, I would still definitely choose the GTP over the V6 Bird.
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Get the GTP they look bad ass with tintedwindows larger wheels, or opt for a TA, no peformance out of the V6 firebird just the look, rice boys will eat u man..
                      1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                      "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

How do the insurance rates compare between the two? I'd bet the GP is less. V6 f-bod insurance is almost as high as the v8.

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
                          I have to aggree with Todd...I know quite a few V6 f-body owners, me being a former. sure they aren't no where as fast as a V8...but, if you love it just as much, why care if it's a V6 or V8. Love is Love...no matter what the displacement is or cylinder count.

Let give him the credit of even buying a f-body...if V6's were such a "waste" of metal, why make em? At least he chose to drive a f-body instead of driving something else...v8 or not. Let give credit to all V6 owners...all that deserve it or course. I've seen my share of V8's that could be labled as "wasted metal".

I'm consider myself a die-hard f-body fan...I've own 3, I'll put my money into a Bird.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by tabahr
                            How do the insurance rates compare between the two? I'd bet the GP is less. V6 f-bod insurance is almost as high as the v8.
                            I'd assume this much...

V8 = 22 year old driver = $280/mth
                            V6 = 22 year old driver = $210/mth
                            GTP = 22 year old drive = $240/mth

that's with a spotless record and 500 deductible...with discounts and non-married male...driving less than 10 miles/day.

Got an allstate agent as a friend...numbers off the top of his head.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                              I'd assume this much...

V8 = 22 year old driver = $280/mth
                              V6 = 22 year old driver = $210/mth
                              GTP = 22 year old drive = $240/mth

that's with a spotless record and 500 deductible...with discounts and non-married male...driving less than 10 miles/day.

Got an allstate agent as a friend...numbers off the top of his head.
                              I recall paying $250/month for a new Z in 1995. That sucks.

I suggest going to www.lowermybills.com and letting a few insurance companies bid on your business. You'll be surprised how much lower a rate you will get.

I pay $102 /month for my wife and I on 3 cars. (we are 30). I'm not saying yours will be that cheap, but it should be a bit lower than 280.

I say find some more reasonable insurance and get a V8 f-bod!!

Comment

Working...
                              X