Exhaust question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust question

I have a 2002 Trans Am Ram Air, 6speed hurst.

I am thinking about getting the exhaust changed on the car. I like the premium exhaust that it came with, but id still like something louder, with a real low rumble. Anyone know what would be a good system to have put on? I dont care about more power, i just care about the sound.

I want a real low rumble with moderate sound, nothing like a loudmouth (thats too loud for me). But i love the rumble. Also, where would be the best place to have this done? I believe the factory exhaust that the car comes with is all one piece now to get rid of the resonance. (Im not a car guy so i could be wrong).

Where woudl be the best place to have an exhaust system done, and has anyone experienced any rattling or anything other than a crisp deep rumble when they have had theirs installed?

Im also looking to spend maybe about 300 bucks or so. (Im not sure what all the stuff runs, but id figure 300 sounds good). I have seen and heard a flowmasters, and that sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks

Dave
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
    6sp Hurst Shifter
    White w/T-tops

Stock...for now (Until warranty expires)
    Takin her to the track this summer!

Try Magnatech- they have a pretty good sound- deep and muscular. Dont know how they sound in the car though- and they run about $400 I think

Comment

If you don’t really care about the power. Go with the stock pipes and a three chambered flow master muffler. It has a low rumble below 2K on the tach. And sings nice and loud above 2K. If you have 3.42 gears like I do then 75 or 80mph is just under 2k. The two chamber is louder but can drone at highway speeds. This way you don’t even spend a hundred bucks.
      1986 Red Firebird SE 5 sdp "had"
      1989 Black Formula 5 spd "had"
      1996 Black Trans AM 6 spd "had"

Next ????

Comment

okie if you want loud then you want the SLP loudmouth exhaust.
        i think they sell it at stealth performance (look underfor sale forum) but iveheard theloudmouth and several otehr andman when you gun aloudmouth wholy crap its LLOUUDD!!
        1997 Camaro, Z-28, 5.7, Manual 6, K&N cold air intake, custom ram air scoop, ported MAF, Resonator plug, air foil, 160 thermostat, hypertech power programer 3, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, strut tower brace, K&N valve breather, centerforce dual friction clutch, slp short throw shifter, TNL short stick, O2 simulators, Next mod will be 1.6 rockers, pushrods, and springs. any reccomendations?

Comment

i recommend the loud mouth as well. i have it and here are about 9 more WS-6 TA on the base that i am stationed at, all with aftermarket exhausts and i by far sound the best and the loudest.

99 T/A WS-6
          SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
          2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
          88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

he already said he didnt want the slp loudmouth, guys..........

the slp 2-on-the-left will sound nice, if you can live with 2 tailpipes exiting on just the left side. alot of folks dont like that.

300 bucks is not much to spend though...dont buy something that will rust out in 3 years... then you have to spend another 300 to replace it... spend 400 now and be done with it.

just my .02 cents.

we have the loudmouth on both our LT1 cars. love it.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Re: Exhaust question

Originally posted by 99WS6TA
              i recommend the loud mouth as well. i have it and here are about 9 more WS-6 TA on the base that i am stationed at, all with aftermarket exhausts and i by far sound the best and the loudest.
              Originally posted by PhantomZ28
              okie if you want loud then you want the SLP loudmouth exhaust.
              i think they sell it at stealth performance (look underfor sale forum) but iveheard theloudmouth and several otehr andman when you gun aloudmouth wholy crap its LLOUUDD!!

Uhhh... guys... ?

Originally posted by Firehawk734
              I want a real low rumble with moderate sound, nothing like a loudmouth (thats too loud for me).
              Anyway... I am not sure if you are really going to be able to accomplish what you want for just $300.

At any rate, if you can somehow double that budget, Corsa makes a system that is very quiet in the car, but raucous as all hell outside at WOT At idle it is low and rumbles, but it is very moderate. It is pricey, but in my opinion a very nice system.

I also hear great things about the GMMG exhaust, but as far as how loud it is, I don't know. I just know that it is *supposed* to sound the "best".
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

This site maybe able to help you decide.

http://exhaustsoundclips.com/gm.html

Comment

go with a flowmaster 40 muffler thats all u need n ull be happy

Comment

Now, isnt the 2002 exhaust system all welded together or something? Isnt that how they come? Or is it simple to change just the muffler out?

Bare with me, i dont know sh*t about cars. But I thought ive heard that somewhere.
                    6sp Hurst Shifter
                    White w/T-tops

Comment

ack sorrie i must of skiped over taht part ^.^ but ive heard good things from flowmaster 80 delta series (think thats whatits called) its not that loud but thelow rumbel it makes is so sweet sounding. i havent heard borla so i dont know. hope youfind a good system
                      1997 Camaro, Z-28, 5.7, Manual 6, K&N cold air intake, custom ram air scoop, ported MAF, Resonator plug, air foil, 160 thermostat, hypertech power programer 3, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, strut tower brace, K&N valve breather, centerforce dual friction clutch, slp short throw shifter, TNL short stick, O2 simulators, Next mod will be 1.6 rockers, pushrods, and springs. any reccomendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk734
                        Now, isnt the 2002 exhaust system all welded together or something? Isnt that how they come? Or is it simple to change just the muffler out?

Bare with me, i dont know sh*t about cars. But I thought ive heard that somewhere.
                        The WS6 exhaust is all welded together, I would assume the same is true for the Firehawk, but I suppose I mightbe wrong.

You will have to hackaw the stock pipe in order to twist the "over-axle" pipe over the axle and get it out. I actually had to saw it in two places. Not physically easy, but very do-able.
                        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

if I were to do it, id probably have it done. I dont know anything about cars other than maintenance.

Thansk for all the help guys, alot of you are super knowledgeable. Im trying to learn quite abit about cars, but I guess the best way to learn is to just DO IT.

About the sawing, do you experience any resonance since you did that? Did you weld the areas that you saw'd?
                          6sp Hurst Shifter
                          White w/T-tops

Comment

By the way JAY, that avatar of yours is AWESOME. I hate mustangs lol

EDIT: I just noticed you are from Holland, MI...hows about doing my exhaust for me?
                            6sp Hurst Shifter
                            White w/T-tops

Comment

If you buy a complete cat-back system, it will mate up to the stock y-pipe quite nicely, right behind the cross-brace by the back of the transmission. You won't have to saw where the pipes meet... the only reason you saw it is so that you can wiggle the stock pipe and muffler out of there. The new pipe will mate nicely, and you will be able to clamp it down.

Once I had the system installed in place, I took it to an exhaust shop for some quick tack welds on all of the clamped joints.

I am in Holland, and I could definitely do this for you once it gets warmer... where are you located?

EDIT: Where the stock y-pipe meets the intermediate pipe is actually not welded from the factory, just band-clamped... so that makes the installation of the aftermarket pipe nice and clean.

Comment

Working...
                              X