No announcement yet.

Exhaust question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I 2nd Jay on the Corsa - it is exactly what you are looking for as far as sound - I installed it on my 02 WS6 as well. The "interior resonance" with the Corsa is better than the stock one. I was a little diappointed it wasn't a bit louder but it has really grown on me. As Jay said inside it is quiet and quite tame - outside it is pretty loud and has a very nice sound. I use it everyday and as much as I like the loud sound of some of the others it is just unacceptable for everyday use. You can hear it at www.fasttoys.net installed on an SS - I got mine through Tom Byrne racing - it was $675 inc shipping and is compete from the cat-back.
    Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Sure, the Corsa is decently tame... UNTIL you put long tube headers on, install an aftermarket y-pipe, and take the cats off!!!!

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

hey does anyone live in the valley of southern california? atround topanga canyon blvd? i'm looking to gt headers and a new y pipe. does any one know how? and wana give e a hand?
        1997 Camaro, Z-28, 5.7, Manual 6, K&N cold air intake, custom ram air scoop, ported MAF, Resonator plug, air foil, 160 thermostat, hypertech power programer 3, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, strut tower brace, K&N valve breather, centerforce dual friction clutch, slp short throw shifter, TNL short stick, O2 simulators, Next mod will be 1.6 rockers, pushrods, and springs. any reccomendations?

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomZ28
          hey does anyone live in the valley of southern california? atround topanga canyon blvd? i'm looking to gt headers and a new y pipe. does any one know how? and wana give e a hand?
          Better check and make sure those mods would be OK with the Smog Nazis first.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

oh i'm moving before registrationis due next goin to canada w NO smog natzi! its gona be sweet! so dont have to worry about emisions for me
            1997 Camaro, Z-28, 5.7, Manual 6, K&N cold air intake, custom ram air scoop, ported MAF, Resonator plug, air foil, 160 thermostat, hypertech power programer 3, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, strut tower brace, K&N valve breather, centerforce dual friction clutch, slp short throw shifter, TNL short stick, O2 simulators, Next mod will be 1.6 rockers, pushrods, and springs. any reccomendations?

Comment

Hey Firehawk734 here are several choices to look at:

http://www.thunderracing.com/index.c...ategoryid=1051

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomZ28
                oh i'm moving before registrationis due next goin to canada w NO smog natzi! its gona be sweet! so dont have to worry about emisions for me
                Where in Canada are you movin to? Here in Vancouver we have emissions, but the rest of BC doesn't. I am not sure but I think the Toronto area has it also. You should double check the area before you go crazy.
                97 SS #C007
                Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Would there be any performance gains if you just replaced the muffler alone for a higher flowing one from flowmaster, hooker, borla etc.?
                  1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                  "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

oh im goin to regina in saskatchewan

Comment

Im in Southern Cali Phantom!

I live in the La Puente/West Covina area. I believe that the only choice for us with regards to a header/y-pipe combo would be either SLP Shorties, or Edelbrock headers, and a Random Tech Y Pipe (CARB Certified). Theres a shop in Monrovia called "Andy's Auto" and most their work involves F-Bodys and Corvettes, so their familiar with our cars. But sevral people have complained about the quality of their work as well as their installation times, so approach with caution. If emissions is not an issue, than long tubes would probably be the way to go.
                      1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

yeah i was planning on installig them my self, or with a friend, i foundsome mac headders and off road y pipe. jethot coated too! a 900$ value for about 400 bucks! so mabey when it gets warmer i can install them was hoping presidents day.

HEY, just want you guyses opinion on the mac headers withjet hot coating. good or bad ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                          If you buy a complete cat-back system, it will mate up to the stock y-pipe quite nicely, right behind the cross-brace by the back of the transmission. You won't have to saw where the pipes meet... the only reason you saw it is so that you can wiggle the stock pipe and muffler out of there. The new pipe will mate nicely, and you will be able to clamp it down.

Once I had the system installed in place, I took it to an exhaust shop for some quick tack welds on all of the clamped joints.

I am in Holland, and I could definitely do this for you once it gets warmer... where are you located?

EDIT: Where the stock y-pipe meets the intermediate pipe is actually not welded from the factory, just band-clamped... so that makes the installation of the aftermarket pipe nice and clean.
                          I am located just south of Detroit, Mi. I will keep you in mind if I decide to do this. I dont want to screw the warranty too much ya know? I don thtink an exhaust will void the bumper to bumper warranty, but who knows with these companies.
                          2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
                          6sp Hurst Shifter
                          White w/T-tops

Stock...for now (Until warranty expires)
                          Takin her to the track this summer!

Comment

Listening so far, to the soundclips on this page:

http://exhaustsoundclips.com/gm.html

The ones that I really am liking so far (to let you know what type i like) are:

Flowmaster 3 Chamber -they never rev it though.

FlowPro (maybe a little too loud but deep rumble moderate loudness. Not sure how loud this would be inside the car. Id prefer not too loud of noise inside the car, dont wanna be draining out the radio.

I just want a nice really deep rumble at idle, then when you rev, moderate loudness. Id like the deep rumble to carry through even on the revs, with a bit of a scream, but not much...does anyone know what i mean? LOL its hard to describe. I drive my car in the summer as my primary car, not just for the drag strip, so something too loud wont do.

Probably the FLowmaster 3 Chamber is the closest on that page to what I like, but they never rev the engine. Any others that are similar to this one? And, how much might it vary ni the sound being put on a Trans AM as opposed to a camaro or another car? Ive heard sometimes it changes a little.

Thanks GUys.
                            2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
                            6sp Hurst Shifter
                            White w/T-tops

Stock...for now (Until warranty expires)
                            Takin her to the track this summer!

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
                              Would there be any performance gains if you just replaced the muffler alone for a higher flowing one from flowmaster, hooker, borla etc.?
                              no.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

If you just want noise and some performance improvement, buy a $30.00 cut out and have it dump before the axles in the intermediate pipe. The cost of welding it in might be around $20.00, then you can cap it or uncap it at will.

KnightFire
                                1993 Formula Firebird
                                Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Working...
                                X