No announcement yet.

electric water pump on an lt1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I asked both, How to get rid of the holes and if I could use a different cam gear.
    Richard Harvey Jr.
    '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by wako29
      I don't know if this is exactly what you are asking........but can anyone tell me exactly how to plug the hole if I went to an electric water pump? I'm just kind of curious as to the methods everyone used........
      Most people press a brass freeze plug in place of the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
        We talked to Meziere and CSI when we were deciding on which electric water pump to go with. Their techs both told us that an electric water pump will outperform a "mechanically driven" water pump at all rpm's.

All I can tell you is what I've seen when talking with people who have done it in the field. Techs that work for a particular company are going to give you biased information about their particular brand. That's their job. The word that was out referred to the failure of electric water pumps to do the job for extended duration high engine rpm. Perhaps we aren't talking about stock mechanical pumps being tested, most likey modified for additional flow. In any case, for street useage either is going to work unless you like going out on those remote and desolate highways where you can blast along at 150 mph without even seeing another car on the horizon. That Silver State Classic must be a blast.

Comment

Yes automotive racing parts companies can and will likely be biased in their own opinion of their products. 7-8 years ago when aftermarket electric water pump manufacturers were getting in to full bloom, they did have durability issues. Those problems have been corrected and the popular ones like CSI and Meziere now have a 2500+ life expectancy. If a person drives his/her car for an average of 1.5 hours a day for 6 days a week their electric water pump should last 5.34 years. That is longer than the factory cam driven water pump, and yes there will always be exceptions but most everyone I know who have had a Meziere on the street were completely happy with it, said their motor ran cooler, and lasted as long or longer than the advertised life expectancy.

The Silver State Classic would definitely put an electric water pump to the test!

Wow I just looked at their website! First time participants end up with a total of $930 in fees before they can race Boy would that be fun though!

Comment

Richard the GM part number of the timing set you can use is 12371043. This is the timing set that comes with the ZZ4 crate motor. It is essentially identical to the "extreme duty LT1/LT4" set with the exception of not having the water pump drive on the cam sprocket. This would significantly reduce the rotating mass of the cam sprocket.

Good idea Richard

Comment

Originally posted by TruckMuddr
              Well, I asked both, How to get rid of the holes and if I could use a different cam gear.
              The hole in the engine block can stay open - if you notice - there are 2 other holes anyway, so it doesn't matter. The hole in the timing cover can be plugged with whatever you can find that fits. I went thru every freeze plug I could find and fit - metric or std. But I machined one to fit and pressed/JB welded it in there. Some guys have glued in coins and other metal discs and it all seems to work. There have been numerous posts about this before on other boards & this is all anybody could come up with. Too bad the waterpump manufacturers don't give you a nice aluminum piece to put in there and save everyone the grief of figuring out how to plug the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                An electric water pump's advantages heavily outweigh the stock water pump. ...
                IMO, the sudden stoppage of an electric water pump and the possible catastrohic results "heavily outweigh" any advantages it might have on a daily driver. When you add an electric pump, you add complexity and more points for potential failure (circuitry and an electric motor). Just as with a mechanical pump, the electric one can fail at any time (regardless of any stated failure rate).

I have read so many posts of people blowing fuses, shorted wiring and shorted motors that it just does not seem worth it. No, it does not excuse people from watching their temp gauges, but even the most vigilant person can get caught in a pinch. You also need to do a good job of wiring it up and I know a lot of people just throw it in.

TruckMuddr: if you have a 1995 and later LT1 with the vented opti and using an electric pump, you can use any timing set that you want. Most people go with a Cloyes double roller that is a great set and not expensive.
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Nope '94. But I am gonna use the DynaSpark Optispark if that makes a different.

See '94.
                  |
                  |
                  |
                  v
                  Richard Harvey Jr.
                  '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

Richard just make sure the cam sprocket has a solid center section. Cloyes timing products are usually a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                      ...I have read so many posts of people blowing fuses, shorted wiring and shorted motors that it just does not seem worth it. No, it does not excuse people from watching their temp gauges, but even the most vigilant person can get caught in a pinch. You also need to do a good job of wiring it up and I know a lot of people just throw it in.
                      Some people do as others have always done.

It is those who strive to push the envelope that are winning races.

When modding an f-bod you have to ask yourself.....do I want to build a reliable car?....or do I want to build a fast, kick a$$, blow the doors off anything on the road kind of car! I know what my decision is!

But yes you are right Rob, most people tend to rush installs.

Comment

Working...
                      X