GM has finally done it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM has finally done it!

They've made do something I thought impossible. I just went out and bought a new FORD Mustang 40th anniversary SE.
    Before I get flamed, let me say, I've kept all my f-bodies and intend to keep all of the ones I currently own ('93 Z, '85 Z, '69 convertible) plus maybe add to the collection (I need a 2nd gen to complete the list).
    GM needs to wake up and realize the void they have created by killing the f-body. I'm sure most of you have seen the work by Ken Horton that has been shown in "Super Chevy". His concept of a 5th gen Camaro is nothing short of spectacular . Well it seems that GM has no interest what so ever in developing this car.
    With nothing in their lineup to fill the void I have been forced to seek other means of "transportation".
    Sure, the new GTO is nice, and I would love to have one, but it's not the same as the f-body, plus there is the dreaded " list" for them.
    Sorry folks, just had to vent my displeasure with GM which has been building since they killed the f-body.

Why would you get flamed for exercising your freedom of choice and having a good head on your shoulders??

94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Have fun.

The passing of the f-body does not even interest me anymore. If they want to replace it with something, someday, they will. They listen to $$ and not much else.

Me, buy a Ford? Don't think it will ever happen. I am really thinking of buying older (desirable) GM cars, now. They don't still make them either, but have potential to increase in value, unlike a new one.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Re: GM has finally done it!

Originally posted by NY_Rebel
        They've made do something I thought impossible. I just went out and bought a new FORD Mustang 40th anniversary SE.
        Before I get flamed, let me say, I've kept all my f-bodies and intend to keep all of the ones I currently own ('93 Z, '85 Z, '69 convertible) plus maybe add to the collection (I need a 2nd gen to complete the list).
        GM needs to wake up and realize the void they have created by killing the f-body. I'm sure most of you have seen the work by Ken Horton that has been shown in "Super Chevy". His concept of a 5th gen Camaro is nothing short of spectacular . Well it seems that GM has no interest what so ever in developing this car.
        With nothing in their lineup to fill the void I have been forced to seek other means of "transportation".
        Sure, the new GTO is nice, and I would love to have one, but it's not the same as the f-body, plus there is the dreaded " list" for them.
        Sorry folks, just had to vent my displeasure with GM which has been building since they killed the f-body.
        Any reason you couldn't have bought an 02' f-bod. You can find them with very low miles.

Comment

Re: Re: GM has finally done it!

Originally posted by fastTA
          Any reason you couldn't have bought an 02' f-bod. You can find them with very low miles.
          Yes, I could have bought an '02 f-body but that's not the point. I went out to buy a NEW car (like I said, I still have my f-bodies, I'm not abandoning them). I have been a DIEHARD gm buyer since I first started driving and I, like Rob, doubted that I would EVER purchase a product put out by the blue oval, but, things change. For now, the mustang was in my price range and the most appealing offering out there.
          I'll probably eventually purchase a Corvette, that is if GM in their infinite wisdom doesn't axe it also. Until then I guess I'll be riding horseback.

Comment

I'm sure he was looking for a lower mileage new car, witch if I were to choose
            between an 02 F-Body or 04 Mustang I'd pick the F-Body. Theres not much differace in age, condition or price. Even wit 132,000 and 10+ years I'd rather have my bird, it still runs really strong.

Don't get me wrong there are alot of nice Mustangs, but there are also still alot of GM gems out there, get'em at a decent price while you can cause it wont last long.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
            2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

I agree gimp19. I would have definitely chose a low mileage, used 02 f-body. To each his own i guess. Also the fact that the '02 was the "Last of the Breed" will quite likely make them pretty valuable one day.

Nothing wrong with owning a mustang. I used to have an 89 GT. It was pretty fun with the 200 shot!

Comment

I never understood Brand loyalty,it is our money and they[seller]must earn it,if I were in the market for a new car I would buy the one I feel is the best for the money,no favoritism to one company or the other.
                94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Everybody here has faced the same issue you have. If I wanted a new car a Mustang would be one of the top choices. I don't blame you. GM abandoned us. But at least they went out with a bang. The last F-bods were the best.

My next "new" car will either be a used C5 or a new Mustang. No other choices really.

96 TA Sold!
                  87 TA Sold!
                  80 Z28 Sold!
                  74 Formula Sold!
                  73 Z28 Sold!
                  69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

there is a new gto over at the used car lot down the street where you located
                    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

My problem with the GTO is that for $35k you can go to any Chevy dealer and get on 04 Vette with 0%. The GTO would do very well in the low to mid $20's but is a joke in the $30's.

96 TA Sold!
                      87 TA Sold!
                      80 Z28 Sold!
                      74 Formula Sold!
                      73 Z28 Sold!
                      69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

I used to feel that way until I realized why, now it doesn't bother me. The reason I used to feel that way was that I wanted to buy something different and already done with a warranty. When you narrow the parameters by that much, your choices become pretty limited. Since I reminded myself that I can take any used car and literally make it brand new (but with personal touches) for far less than a new car, barring of course going a full frame off restoration of a basket case, I feel mucho better and could literally care less about GM anymore. They have made so many great vehicles in years past that can fit the bill nicely, GM is the one that is going to suffer because they won't get my dough for a new car. Especially the way the prices have inflated over the last 10 years. The used car market is a buyers market due all the incentives that had been offered since 9/11. The market is flooded. Right at this very moment I am working on another deal...... a 94 T/A, runs, drives, looks good, only minor little stuff needing attention, loaded with t-tops etc..... $3000. With deals like that to be found, who the heck cares what GM offers at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirroredshades
                          My problem with the GTO is that for $35k you can go to any Chevy dealer and get on 04 Vette with 0%. The GTO would do very well in the low to mid $20's but is a joke in the $30's.
                          and an even bigger joke with $8k dealer markup
                          DWS
                          Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

There is a 02 Firehawk sitting at Prestige motors in Appleton with 2,500 miles on it. Double black, Ttops, 6speed..... (drool)

$29,950.00

I woulda picked that over a brand new Mustang any day of the week. BUT if you *had to* buy a new *brand new* car.. the Mustang was the best choice.
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:
                            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

NY_Rebel,

I for one am happy you found a car that you'll be happy with. I too feel the pull of a new mustang now. The 2004's have large rebates now and MachI's are going for a relative song.

In rebutel though, GM DOES have interest in bringing back Camaro. In fact, I will go as far as to say they will.

I'm going to post something I got from a similar thread on another board. Please understand the wording was meant in reply to a different post, not your's or anyone on this board.

I hope a certain brand manager won't be too upset I'm posting this here.

OK........

I'm gonna say it again......I will NOT read between the lines for you........

First......we don't want to lose ANY customer...that said, we won't be held hostage....nor will any other manufacturer.

I would not say we said "F. U." to anyone...if you really feel that way, I can't change your mind, but I'd also say that you probably don't have a full understanding of this industry.

Now........

Mr. Lutz announced in, I believe, it was Frankfurt that we are developing a Global RWD platform........that can be adapted to many different models/needs.

........and a while back, someone (who shall go unnamed) mentioned that he was at a GM clinic and saw some really interesting cars and trucks......one particular car was VERY interesting to him........

So.......I can't stop you from bashing GM........

I also can't stop you from buying a vehicle from another manufacturer.......regardless of how much you bash........

So................once again, I'm gonna say it......and then I'm gonna "shut my pie hole" (good one, Mr. Harden...I still laugh at that one!)

Have faith.

Food for thought........

GM has managed to plug the pension fund shortfall....which was about 22 Billion (yes....spelled with a B, not an M) in the past year........connect the dots, please............
                              Joe K.
                              '11 BMW 328i
                              '10 Matrix S AWD
                              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
                              X