1994 to 1995 LT1 engine swap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 to 1995 LT1 engine swap?

I have a '94 LT1 that I want to put into my '95 Z that has a bad knock. Will I have any problems with my original 95 wiring working? I know the 94 distributer is not vented and the 95 is. Any other differences?

I would recommend using the 95 opti, if it is good. You'll need to change timing covers to use it. I would also re-use all the sensors off your current setup, the throttle body, etc... You know they work because it runs, right?

If you start using too many parts off the 94 engine, you could end up wth a problem you didnt expect.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Re: 1994 to 1995 LT1 engine swap?

Originally posted by Lucky Dog
      I have a '94 LT1 that I want to put into my '95 Z that has a bad knock. Will I have any problems with my original 95 wiring working? I know the 94 distributer is not vented and the 95 is. Any other differences?
      None that will affect anything except for what you already found out about the opti.

Comment

Here are the part numbers you will need for the switch to the vented 95 opti:

95 GM Optispark 1104032
        95 Opti elec harness 12130319
        95 Timing cover (with all 3 seals) 12552426
        95 GM timing cover gasket 10128293
        Opti vacuum harness 12555323
        Opti vacuum fitting 14082470
        Water Pump Gaskets (2) 10128343

Comment

In addition, the only other modification will be creating a vacuum port in the intake tract typically in the elbow. This is where one of the opti vent lines attaches to.

Comment

Engine hooks?

Thanks for the info guys. Do you have any ideas of how I might make some engine hooks for the top of the motor so I can pull it out from the top? Lucky Dog

Comment

If you want to do the motor from the top, you need a product called the happy hooker. It is a leveler/ tilter that attaches between the engine and your lift device that allows tilting and leveling without changing hooking points. It will make your job mucho easier.

Comment

distributer drive

Is the drive for the distributer the same on the 94 and 95 or will I have to change something?

Comment

Sometime in 95, GM switched the length of the drive dowel for the optispark. The worst thing that could happen is that you might have to grind about 1/16 off the drive dowel.

Comment

If you have both engines there, cant you just use the parts from the 95? Why mess around?

Comment

Not only is the 95 up camshaft drive pin considerably longer, but there is also a larger center hole to accept the larger diameter of the 95+ opti male ds. In addition the 94 and earlier cam sprocket has the opti drive pin installed on the gear itself. The 95 and newer cam sprocket's just have a hole in them to accept the longer cam drive pin.

The 94 and earlier cam can be machined to work, but I have a deal you can't refuse!

If you just pay for shipping, you can have my camshaft, opti, and cam sprocket out of my 97 WS6. The opti had about 55K when it was pulled and worked fine. If you don't want a used opti you can still have the cam sprocket and cam.

You are a lucky dog!

Comment

Better than hitting the lottery.

I'm so Lucky to find this place. I'll take you up on that offer FastTA.

Comment

Working...
                        X